According to the article cited, to register a Mexican cell phone you need a person's CURP, a supposedly unique ID number. One might think those numbers would be kept private, sort of like social security numbers in the U.S. (admittedly not all that secret). I would have thought it would be difficult to register in someone else's name, but the article said many people were using Felipe Calderon, so I guess the numbers must be readily available.

Mark Minton