I always liked the explanation given to me for low grotto dues, or no dues
for that matter. One was that the avoidance of creating a fund also avoids
the political arguments over the disposition of that fund. The real mission
of the grotto is simply to exist and have meetings to socialize, spread
information, and stay connected as a community. To further that end a phone
list is kept, and that's worth paying for.

All other pursuits are best conceived, paid for, and carried out by
individuals and/or groups as they see fit.