The May meeting of the Permian Basin Speleological Society was held on May 11 and opened at 1910 (7:10 pm). This month the gavel (wooden hammer) was present and was used enthusiastically but, I think, appropriately.

The treasurer reported that we have the same amount in the treasury as the last two months, $751.40. No new members, no expenditures.

We discussed information received from the NSS that is summarized as follows:

a.. The NSS has developed a mission statement and a vision statement and the Board has approved both.

a.. We have received a short questionnaire from the NSS membership and marketing committees. Each of us is meant to copy and paste it into an email with our answers. This has gone out on the PBSS remailer and continues to be available to members. The questionnaire is an effort to work up some kind of NSS demographic and it really does need the information.

a.. The NSS has published its updated WNS statement. It and other WNS information are available on the NSS website.

We listened to a report from the Five Mouth dig which included the addition of Charles Goldsmith as a landowner-invited dig leader. As a result there will be more digs and anyone from one region's dig team will be encouraged to participate in any dig. The first Charles-led dig will be the weekend of 05 June. The Five Mouth dig will continue to be a project of the PBSS.

The necessary liability release signatures for the Abyss trip will be mailed Monday the 17th to be received by the landowner before we arrive. The landowners for the Montgomery trip have also requested advance releases andtThere was some discussion of this trend toward liability-releases-in-advance.

The cancelled Carlsbad Rock Haul was discussed and there will be no more PBSS rock hauls for now.

Ropes were discussed and the drop into Abyss is 60 feet so Jacqui will bring her relatively new 100 foot rope. Also hardware.

The Montgomery trip in June will be attended by Bill (trip leader), Walter, Kerry, Herman and Lori. Bill gave us some history behind PBSS's relationship with Montgomery's Gypsum Cave, which goes way back to the days of the Haynes brothers and their wire-and-stick ladders.

Bill is working on a trip to Comanche Springs cave in Fort Stockton and we picked the date, 11 September 2010.

Because Abyss and Montgomery both require good vertical skills and we don't have an in-cave training in the works there will be a vertical practice Sunday the 16th in Jacqui's trees in Sonora.

The meeting closed at 2023 hours (8:23 pm).

Respectfully submitted,

Jacqui Thomas