The classical standard is that for a cavity to qualify as a cave, as opposed to
merely a rock shelter or a pit, a caver must be able to reach some location
inside the cavity where no sunlight is visible, even when the sun is shining
brightly outside the cavity.

When searching for the shortest cave by this definition, it may be useful to
have at least one large diameter caver on the survey team, since this may help
to qualify certain cavities that are less than one body length long. The caver
enters the cavity head first. Once he squeezes in far enough for his body to
plug the entrance, sunlight will no longer be visible from his location, and,
hence, the cavity will qualify as a cave, even if it is too short to accept the
caver's entire body. Therefore, the next time you go cave hunting for tiny
caves, invite an extra large caver, and you might make a discovery worthy of
Gill's record book.

;-)

Rod