Folks,
I wanted to let people know about some recent developments at the Deep and
Punkin Preserve.  Recently, the TCMA board of directors voted to remove the
second floor of the back porch structure because of safety and liability
concerns.  This was decided as the best option for the site.  A work day will
be scheduled at the site sometime in April or May.  I'm sure the work date will
be announced on TexasCavers along with a request for assistance.
I want to personally thank Jon Cradit who spearheaded the porch project over
the last two and a half years and to also thank the many many folks that have
devoted their time, energy, and money to the project.  Specifically, I want to
thank Lex Cox and Milo, R.D., Jay J. and the many folks from the Ft Worth -
Dallas area that worked on erecting the steel and providing materials.  In
addition, I would like to thank the folks from the Austin and San Antonio area
for their hard work on the structure.
I also want to let folks know that I have decided to step down as property
manager.  After five long and wonderful years, it is time for some new blood at
the site.  Having the honor of managing the property has been a fantastic
experience for both me and my family.  My kids cut their caving teeth at Deep
and Punkin and we had many joyous weekends and fond memories working and caving
up there.  I think the Deep and Punkin Preserve has really helped to
consolidate the Texas caving community and I'm proud of the fact that cavers
have come together to pay off the property so quickly.  I believe that almost
every Texas grotto has been involved in some form or fashion at the property,
either through direct participation when possible, or through donations of
funds and materials.
I would especially like to thank Jon Cradit for his assistance in selecting and
designing the desiccating toilet system and for Eric Holman and BSA Venture
Crew 410 that did a majority of the work on erecting the toilet, constructed
the wildlife watering tank, the bunks in the cabin, many of the trails on the
property, and helped replace the insulation in the attic.  Managing the
property has allowed me to meet and work with many wonderful folks and grottos
over the years and I thank you for this great opportunity, I have truly gotten
more out of the property and the caving community than I've put in.
Sincerely,
Geary Schindel
TCMA Board Member