Earlier this week, I ran across a business closing sale in northeast Austin
where some materials of potential interest to cavers were being sold at low
prices. It is a company called Sano Sports International, which used to
manufacture wake boards and other items, mostly related to boating. Their
website for the business closing sale is

   http://www.sanosports.com/

The website gives their location and the phone number to call to make sure
there is someone there when you go. It also lists some of the very large
equipment items they have for sale, but most of the small stuff and materials
of interest to cavers are not listed. For that, you'd have to go there in
person and see what kind of deal you can negotiate.

When I was there last Tuesday, they had large quantities of foam padding
material, which appeared to be closed cell foam similar to that used in
ensolite sleeping pads. This material was available in different colors and
thicknesses (mostly 1/4" to 1/2" I would estimate) and in different degrees of
softness/firmness. I bought three 4' by 8' sheets of it for $1.00 each.

They also had some smaller sheets (approximately 52" by 33" each) of neoprene
material similar to that used in wetsuits except that there was no cloth
backing on either side.

Other materials there included non-slip material similar to that used on boat
decks and, also, some kind of padding material which I did not recognize but
which looked like it might be useful for floor mats or carpeting in wet areas,
such as around a hot tub.

Many small miscellaneous items and tools were piled on tables. Almost
everything there was for sale. Nothing had price tags. You just had to talk
with them to see how much they wanted for what, but it seemed to me that they
were offering good deals on most of what I discussed with them.

Rod