From: Ken Harrington <ken_harring...@hotmail.com>
To: NM Cavers <nmca...@caver.net>
Sent: Sat, February 6, 2010 5:15:31 PM
Subject: [NMCAVER] FW: Lincoln Cave Program, Information round one
Subject: Lincoln Cave Program, Information round one
From: jabucha...@fs.fed.us
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 14:10:35 -0700

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let all of you know that much of what you are hearing about
the cave situation in Carlsbad is simply not true.  Both my staff and I have
been working on a plan for not only keeping the program going but to actually
improve it from where it has been in the past.  We are currently dealing with a
turnover in staff there on the District but not to the degree that rumors seem
to indicate.  Deanna Younger, the Assistant District Rec Staff/Cave Program
Manager left about 7 months ago to take a job at the BLM.  We immediately flew
that position and have back filled it with a gentleman from Florida so there
has been NO decision to remove a position.  The issue we do have is that we did
not have any applicants with Cave experience that applied for the job so we are
now in a position that we have to get this person trained up as quick as
possible.  We are looking at multiple options for his training as well as how
to keep the program fully
 functional until he is trained.  We are fortunate to have the NPS in proximity
so we are exploring how we might be able to use the expertise they have to help
us out.  We still have the Rec Staff Officer in place there (Larry Paul) and
considering that he has been overseeing the Rec program as well as supervising
the Assistant Rec Staff/Cave manager for 7+ years I would expect the District
to be able to keep up with a majority of the request coming in although we are
going to have to prioritize the permits for approval.  We are concerned with
the oversight of the caves in regard to vandalism and we are trying hard to
figure out what options we have for that.  My District Ranger position at
Carlsbad is also vacant at this time and we are working hard to have that
position filled as soon as possible.  Until the DR position is filled we will
be handling some of the work from the Supervisors office here in Alamogordo.

In regards to the Cave Tech position that keeps coming up, that is a position
that I added to the org chart in 2009 in hopes of getting a second position in
place at Carlsbad.  To be clear, there has not been a Cave Tech in that office
for over 7 years so not having it filled at this time has nothing to do with
our commitment to the program.  In fact, it shows my commitment to the program
since I personally am the one who approved putting it back on the
Organizational Chart.

I fully recognize the importance of the Cave Program at Carlsbad and being a
cave enthusiast  myself I understand the concern that all of you have.  I hope
that from this point forward, each of you will help us make our Cave Program
the best in the National Forest System.  As a part of the opportunity we now
have, I would very much like to offer all of you the chance to have input in
how we move this program forward.  I am trying to set up a meeting with the
other agencies during the week of February 22 and I would like to meet with any
of you that have an interest as well.  Right now I am planning on being in
Carlsbad on the 22 and 23 of February and I would like to set up a meeting at
the District office for 600 pm on the evening of the 22nd to get input from the
cave community.  Please let me know if any of you are interested in meeting
with me to discuss the program and options for the future.

We will be sending out an information statement on Monday to all of you that
captures most of what I stated above as well additional information on our
current approach for processing permit applications.  I encourage all of you
take advantage of the opportunity to be a part of our future program in a
productive manner.  You have my personal commitment that the Lincoln fully
recognizes the importance of the cave system we manage as well as the
importance of serving the public that we work for.

Please feel free to email or call me if you have questions or concerns.  My
cell phone number is 575-644-9768 and I am happy to visit with anyone that has
a question.  Please feel free to share this email or the information sheet we
will send you Monday with anyone that is interested.

Jacque

Jacqueline Buchanan
Forest Supervisor
Lincoln National Forest