I have heard third hand (from the friend of a friend of one of the rescuers) that it was not a bolt that pulled out as I had previously stated (based on my reading of the news reports), but rather a natural anchor that failed. The rock apparently broke at some sort of intermediate tie-off or redirect of the hauling system. The haul system was apparently quite long due to the tight and circuitous nature of the passage, it had redirects, and anchor options were few. It is possible that the passage was even too narrow to get a drill into to set bolts along the way. The rock was also supposedly pretty shitty, so it might be that bolts wouldn't have held there even if they could have been set. In any event, there did not seem to be a lot of rigging options and its hard to say whether they could have done anything substantially differently. When you have a long system such as they did, the failure of an intermediate anchor would necessarily introduce slack into the system, and it was obviously enough to drop the victim back into the slot in this case.

My assumption that a bolt pulled out when news reports said an anchor failed reminds me of one of my favorite stories: Three scientists were walking along a country road in Scotland and saw a black sheep in a field. The first guy said, "They have black sheep in Scotland." The second said, "Well, they have at least one black sheep in Scotland." The third said, "They have at least one sheep in Scotland that is black on at least one side." It is risky to make assumptions...
Mark Minton