texascavers Digest 14 Dec 2009 22:35:24 -0000 Issue 915

Topics (messages 12959 through 12970):

Re: TSA this and that
        12959 by: kego3.sbcglobal.net
        12963 by: Karen Perry
        12966 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com
        12967 by: Fritz Holt
        12969 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com

Re: Please Become a Digital Online Member
        12960 by: Charles Goldsmith

Re: Digital vs. Print 2
        12961 by: Charles Goldsmith

Change of Subject--Clean Water
        12962 by: Gill Edigar
        12965 by: George Veni
        12968 by: Geary Schindel
        12970 by: Stefan Creaser

Re: Electronic media
        12964 by: Linda Palit

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
"But the question should be how large a discount you get if you don't want a
paper copy, not how much more you pay for one.--Mixon"

Well put and amen!
From: ke...@sbcglobal.net <ke...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] TSA this and that
To: "Mixon Bill" <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>, "Cavers Texas"
<texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Monday, December 14, 2009, 1:19 PM

[...]

This should be easy enough, Karen, but there is one issue:

We would have to agree on exactly how many pages each issue should/will be in
order to facilitate costs.

This is my fault, because each issues varies in page count, depending on how
much material I receive.

The 1st quarter TC was 24 pages.

The 2nd quarter TC was 32 pages.

The 3 quarter Mega ICS issue was 64 (!) pages. (definitely not typical).

This past issue was 28 pages.

If the damn editor could make up his mind (and reliably get submissions) it
would be easier to calculate.

What size fits y'all?

Also, there's only four issues a year, not 12.

Mark

________________________________

Excellent Q! Since the majority of the dues collected, at least in the past,
were intended to cover publication/postage cost.......Maybe we need to look at
the cost of producing an average Caver, figure in the mailing cost, multiple by
12, then figure the difference in dues and come up with a workable formula to
make as many as possible, as happy as possible. I would, for one, like to know
what the cost of the Caver, per issue really is. Let's do the math before we
all are insulting each other more. (Right Gil? ...the USA comment)

If the TSA wishes to give $$$ away to noble causes, then they can do fund
raisers for specific donations, just like grottos & the NSS.
Karen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have been admonished in the past for daring to suggest a TSA dues increase
and was reminded that we are a not for profit organization. I'm not sure that I
know the definition but it would seem that there would have to be a profit or
sizable donations in order to purchase real estate for whatever cause. But, I'm
not looking for a lesson in the law. With the questions concerning a possible
reduction in TSA dues you would think that many cavers didn't know where the
money was coming from for their next caving light. Since it is impossible to
calculate to the dollar what expenses will be, there is nothing wrong with
having a small surplus at the end of the year. At $20.00, any surplus would be
small.

Fritz

________________________________

Excellent Q! Since the majority of the dues collected, at least in the past,
were intended to cover publication/postage cost.......Maybe we need to look at
the cost of producing an average Caver, figure in the mailing cost, multiple by
12, then figure the difference in dues and come up with a workable formula to
make as many as possible, as happy as possible. I would, for one, like to know
what the cost of the Caver, per issue really is. Let's do the math before we
all are insulting each other more. (Right Gil? ...the USA comment)

If the TSA wishes to give $$$ away to noble causes, then they can do fund
raisers for specific donations, just like grottos & the NSS.
Karen

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
As a national director of a large, 100 year old (as of Feb. 8, 2010) non-profit
corporation, I can tell you that you budget
to end the year in the black, which means bringing in more money than you
spend. We raise dues every few years, and that is
because costs increase. When I started my career 30 years ago membership dues
were $2.00 per year. Now they're $12. We don't call
it profit at the end of the year, we call it surplus, which is then shown in
the accounting as cash reserves.

Bill Steele

---- Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com> wrote:
> I have been admonished in the past for daring to suggest a TSA dues increase
> and was reminded that we are a not for profit organization. I'm not sure that
> I know the definition but it would seem that there would have to be a profit
> or sizable donations in order to purchase real estate for whatever cause.
> But, I'm not looking for a lesson in the law. With the questions concerning a
> possible reduction in TSA dues you would think that many cavers didn't know
> where the money was coming from for their next caving light. Since it is
> impossible to calculate to the dollar what expenses will be, there is nothing
> wrong with having a small surplus at the end of the year. At $20.00, any
> surplus would be small.
>
> Fritz
>
> ________________________________

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Joe, I I'm going speak to one thing here, since I administer and run
both (and the same) that you mention here.

When I took over CaveTex, Bill handed me the reins, membership list
and website.  I only updated a few instructions on the site, but left
it the same as he had it.  Yes, it has a disclaimer on it about it not
being the official list for TSA or any other group.

I think the majority of the CaveTex membership wants it this way,
while TSA members are a large part of the CaveTex members, there are
many here who aren't.

If the TSA wants its own list for updates, member talk, etc, I'd be
happy to set one up, but to be honest, I don't think its necessary.
TSA doesn't have anything to hide from non-members.

Do I take pride in not having CaveTex as the "official" TSA voice?
No, and it wasn't meant that way I don't think.  I'm a proud (and
vocal) member of TSA, TCMA, NSS and few other organizations.

Charles
CaveTex list administrator flunky

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:31 AM,  <jran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Mark -
>
> *TexasCavers.com and CaveTex before it seemed to take pride in not being
> affiliated with TSA.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thats a good point Gil, any idea on the costs for that?  I've never needed to.

Thanks!
Charles

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
> Don't anyone forget that you can download your digital TEXAS CAVER file onto
> your memory stick, take it to Kinkos or Office Depot and have it color laser
> printed HARD COPY just like the editor does and save the TSA all that
> postage and printing cost--and save the editor a lot of mental and physical
> hassle. It's the best of both worlds.
> --Ediger
>
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Logan McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am one of those antiquated bibliophiles who prefers a hard copy of The
>> Texas Caver, but I certainly support the use of electronic copies for all
>> that prefer them.  I would be willing to pay the extra cost of printed
>> issues.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
RE: Clean Water Action

A few months ago a fellow came by the house representing an outfit called
'Clean Water Action' ostensibly soliciting funds to promote awareness of
 and promoting lobbying for clean water in some form or fashion. Since clean
water is a current topic of interest in South Austin and other parts of the
world it would be a good thing to hype if one wanted to make a few bucks
from folks with good environmental intentions but who haven't the time to
keep up with every environmental interest group that comes along. I gave
them a few bucks and signed their petition and filled out a personal data
card. A few days ago I got a phone call from them asking for a pretty good
slug of money. I asked for more information. A letter followed but with
nebulous details.

Does anybody have any knowledge of these guys? Where do they fit in with
SOS, the City of Austin, the various water conservation districts that some
of our cavers work at? Can anybody cite me any references of their good
work? Etc, etc? If they're on the up-and-up I want to support them, but I've
never heard of them before and want a better idea of who they are and what
they really do.

--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Clean Water Action has been working in the Austin and San Antonio areas
since at least the mid-1980s. They have worked to lobby government and
agencies, and work cooperatively with other green groups to prevent water
degradation. I haven't seen them much in the past 10 years and don't know if
the organization crashed and is now recovering or if it simply got diverted
to other projects in other areas.

George

[...]

I sent Annalisa Peace a email about Clean Water Action and this is here
response.

Geary

Dear Geary,

Yes, they are a national organization with an office in Austin.  They hire
canvassers to solicit donations in San Antonio, but they do not get involved in
any local issues.  CWA used to be a member group of AGUA (when AGUA was
structured that way) but have not joined GEAA.  They do do good work on the
national level.  So, I guess giving would be based on whether the donor is
interested in local or national action.

If someone is a caver, they might want to donate to GEAA or SOS on the water
front, as we are actively involved in issues of mutual interest.

Hope that answers your question.

Annalisa Peace
Executive Director
Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance
210-320-6294
www.aquiferalliance.org<http://www.aquiferalliance.org/>

[...]

This lot sound like the TSA/TCMA/TCC/TCR/etc. ;-)

"United against the common enemy" :-)

Cheers,

Stefan

[...]

medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Talk to an archivist.  All the digital nightmares are multiplied with the
evolving technology, and the potential of losing information because it is
not in a platform that is still used.

Perhaps this really is the third revolution, agricultural revolution,
industrial revolution and "communications revolution" or whatever historical
moniker this era ends up with, if it is indeed that significant.