texascavers Digest 15 Dec 2009 14:56:44 -0000 Issue 917

Topics (messages 12979 through 12991):

Re: Please Become a Digital Online Member
        12979 by: Charles Goldsmith
        12980 by: Nico Escamilla

UT Grotto meeting December 16, 2009
        12981 by: Gary Franklin

Re: Clarification, and Back to Caving
        12982 by: Karen Perry

Re: Endless Restoration Project
        12983 by: Logan McNatt

Re: Digital vs. Print 2
        12984 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com
        12985 by: Charles Goldsmith

clothing related
        12986 by: David
        12987 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: TSA, Caver, and Caving
        12988 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: Clean Water Action
        12989 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Re: Can TSA be trusted with email addresses?
        12990 by: Rod Goke

bulk mail and TX Caver mailing
        12991 by: Rod Goke

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Gil, I seem to remember you making that statement within the last year
or so, about the $100 donation.  I also seem to remark about matching
that, and I'll stand by it.  I'll donate $100 as well.

Charles

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Ediger will renew his lapsed TSA membership and donate $100 to the TSA
> within seconds of The TEXAS CAVER being made a free publication to any caver
> who wants to sign up for a free subscription. Subscribing non-TSA members
> should be solicited to join TSA but membership should not be a requirement
> for receiving all the good caving information aimed at bettering the cause
> of caving in Texas. As a caver and TSA member I, personally, would want
> every caver in Texas to be reading TSA promotional material, safety
> information, articles about equipment and techniques, cave science, upcoming
> events which they can support by attending, trip and cave reports, and
> participating personally by attending TSA conventions and contributing
> articles to The TEXAS CAVER themselves, all of which will also benefit ME. I
> am selfish. I want all of these non-TSA members to read The TEXAS CAVER
> because I will benefit from them being more informed and better cavers. They
> do not have to be TSA members to be better cavers. But they can be better
> cavers, and well qualified and participating members of the Texas caving
> community, if they simply read and contribute to The TEXAS CAVER. And their
> participation is good for me, it is good for you, and it is good for Texas
> caving. That is probably the most valuable service the TSA can provide to
> cavers and caving in Texas--keeping EVERYONE informed so they can be a
> better participant in Texas caving.
> I coined a phrase in 1969, "As The TEXAS CAVER goes, so goes the TSA." I
> think that is still true today. If The TEXAS CAVER is made available to all
> Texas cavers digitally and free then we will see a much better informed
> group of Texas cavers taking the bait to become members of the TSA and
> helping it reach it's selfish aims and purposes--a major part of which is
> promoting Texas caving--for ALL of us, not just the few. The time has
> finally come, my fellow Texas cavers, to do something for our selfish
> selves. It costs the TSA nothing to give The TEXAS CAVER away digitally. It
> costs the TSA and Texas caving a lot not to. If you want to do something
> selfish for yourself and for all the other Texas cavers vote at your
> earliest opportunity to separate The CAVER from TSA membership, to make it
> free to any digital subscriber.  Otherwise, we're just preaching to the
> choir.
> Yours in Texas caving (for nearly 43 years now),
> --Ediger
>

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM, John P. Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I want to save the TSA from financial ruin....I will go digital if Ediger
>> renews his membership. Anyone else willing to make that commitment?
>>

>> On 12/14/09 1:14 PM, "mark.al...@l-3com.com" <mark.al...@l-3com.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Welcome back, Karen!
>>
>> Now, if we could only get Ediger to rejoin!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Amen Ediger!

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Gill Edigar <gi...@att.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM, John P. Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
>  wrote:
>
>  I want to save the TSA from financial ruin....I will go digital if Ediger
>> renews his membership. Anyone else willing to make that commitment?
>>

> Ediger will renew his lapsed TSA membership and donate $100 to the TSA
> within seconds of The TEXAS CAVER being made a free publication to any caver
> who wants to sign up for a free subscription.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Underground Texas Grotto meeting December 16, 2009

The meeting is on Wednesday from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
on the University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html

Peter Sprouse will present the program of the evening, "Exploration of a new
caving area at Muzquiz, Coahuila".  A recent trip to this newly found area
yielded many major pits where the teams kept returning for more rope.  Come see
some photography of this spectacular porous Karst region of Mexico where the
rancher extended access as well as plenty of food for their Thanksgiving.

For information on UT Grotto www.utgrotto.org activates, please see the website.
All of our information is available through our link including officer contact
info, trips reports, new caver training, event calendar, and posting links to
beginner trips or vertical rope training.

Sometimes, cavers meet before the meeting about 6:30 at Sau Paulo
www.saopaulos.net  for happy hour.  After every meeting, we adjourn to the
Posse www.posseeast.com for beer and burgers.

The UT Grotto Program needs you, the caver with photos and a story to share
about your adventures, scientific research, or something else really cool.
Contact Gary   v...@utgrotto.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. Tom Byrd and Carl Kunath
are coming to Carlsbad this weekend to join in the Endless Restoration
Project.

The
McKittrick Hill caves have been closed now for several years with only
resto permits being issued. The projects have toiled along slowly but
with much progress being made. Things are starting to truly show the
cave recovering from decades of mud & dirt being trampled into
places that should have never been walked on. Carbide dumps are
disappearing, broken flash bulbs removed, damaged formations
repaired.......

Well, check out some of these photos..... hope to wet your appetite for
more.......

Karen
one of the McKittrick Project Leaders

---

So, let's get back to caves and caving.  I know there was a Colorado
Bend project this weekend, and a TCMA meeting.  Anyone want to give a
brief report on those events?  Anyone else go caving?  Please, someone,
anyone.

Logan

P.S.  Thomas, tell me more about using cellulose for ethanol
(OFFLINE)!  ;)

Fritz Holt wrote:

   Sorry, I must take an opposing view. I
consider myself an environmentalist but if there really is such a thing
as “clean”
coal technology I am for it. We have plenty of it. I also think that
generating
electricity from nuclear energy makes good sense. The best solution may
be
natural gas but our federal government needs to wake up to the fact
that to get
it we must drill for it as well as for oil as we will never be without
the need
for this commodity. It is crazy to be importing it from our enemies. No
one  loves
our Texas Hill Country more than I but I don’t believe that these
activities
will be harmful if sensibly regulated which does not mean banning them.
believe that cavers who owned a tract of land would accept a very
lucrative offer
to lease it for oil and gas exploration. That’s not greed, its good
sense. Let the naysayers come forth.
  Fritz

   From:   Logan
McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com>

From: Logan McNatt [mailto:lmcn...@austin.rr.com]

I am one of those antiquated bibliophiles who prefers a hard copy of The Texas Caver, but I certainly support the use of electronic copies for all that prefer them.  I would be willing to pay the extra cost of printed issues.

--- End Message ---