texascavers Digest 20 Dec 2009 04:46:52 -0000 Issue 930

Topics (messages 13124 through 13134):

Re: archiving your cave data
        13124 by: Mark Alman
        13125 by: Charles Goldsmith
        13127 by: Louise Power

hard drives
        13126 by: Sam Young
        13131 by: jack witz

Mexico Green Angels
        13128 by: Preston Forsythe
        13129 by: Jon
        13130 by: Don Arburn
        13132 by: Louise Power

Re: Why join TSA?
        13133 by: Ron Miller
        13134 by: Mark Alman

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Because they crash, too, Rod.

I have a $150 100GB ext. HD paperweight with a bunch of data that is lost now.

Mark

________________________________
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:28:47 -0800
From: texascav...@yahoo.com
To: rod.g...@ieee.org; texascavers@texascavers.com

Because they crash, too, Rod.

I have a $150 100GB ext. HD paperweight with a bunch of data that is lost now.

Mark

Why archive data on CDs or DVDs at all? Why not use external hard disk drives
instead?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There are services which can retrieve data from blown hard drives but you will
not get all of it back and it costs $$$.   ........ Sam

Because they crash, too, Rod.

I have a $150 100GB ext. HD paperweight with a bunch of data that is lost now.

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Everyone,
I bought an external years ago as a backup but never used it often enough.
After my new computer chunked on me I started using it.  To add sillieness I
have one extra step.

I keep all of my old computers.  So far I haven't had one get a devestating
virus or hardware problem.  So I have 2 home computers (Dinosaur and Newus
Toyus) and 1 external hardrive (brick) plus laptops.  About once a month I
backup Newus Toyus to my brick.  Then about a week after that I plug the brick
into the Dinosaur.  I click copy paste and walk away for a few hours.  Rinse
and repeat.

So I've got 3 complete copies on 3 seperate hardrives.  I backup the laptops
less frequently.  Ya I'll loose about 1-2 weeks worth of work, but that's
better than crossing my fingers at the computer shop.  This is also free (er
after I bought the brick) than online backup websites.  I also don't like my
info floating on the net.

Later all

There are services which can retrieve data from blown hard drives but you will
not get all of it back and it costs $$$.   ........ Sam

Because they crash, too, Rod.

I have a $150 100GB ext. HD paperweight with a bunch of data that is lost now.

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here is some interesting Mexico Travel Information we have not used, but just
in case I am putting a copy in my glove box.
-------------------------------------

GREEN ANGELS (Angeles Verdes)
http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb/sectur/sect_9453_angeles_verdes

The Green Angels
The unthinkable happens: your car is kaput. Luckily for you, there's a slender
shoulder that you manage to pull onto before the thing conks out. Cars whiz by
on the highway, but no one stops. Or maybe several helpful citizens stop, but
can't help, because your fuel pump is busted.
Being stuck on the side of the road is stressful in any situation, but
especially in a foreign country where language may be a barrier. Since the
1970s, the federally funded Angeles Verdes, or Green Angels, have proved a
godsend to motorists in distress from Tijuana to Ticul.
In the old days you had to wait for the blessed sight of a dark green Angeles
Verdes truck to trundle into view, but today salvation for those who run out of
gas, can't fix a flat, or blow a water pump is just a phone call away.
How to Get Help
Dial 078 from any cell phone or TELMEX phone booth. Your call will be routed to
the Green Angels' Mexico City dispatch office. Agents there will radio the
appropriate unit throughout the country. Green Angels don't service every
little backwater, however they do patrol all federal and toll highways.
The tow trucks typically make a full-circuit trip of each highway per day, in
addition to responding to emergency calls. Agents typically work from 8AM to
8PM. On major holidays like semana santa (Easter week) and on puentes (long
weekends) they are available 24 hours a day.
Drivers carry gasoline and motor oil as well as spare tires and parts for minor
but important repairs. Trained in CPR, they can administer first aid in the
event of an accident or medical emergency. While their main function is to help
motorists in distress, they also carry maps and brochures of their regions.
Most drivers speak excellent to reasonably good English and are knowledgeable
about road conditions and tolls in their areas.
To Pay or Not to Pay?
There's no charge for these services, but motorists must pay for gasoline, oil
and parts. There's conflicting information in guide books and on the web about
whether drivers can accept tips. Mr. Gómez assured me that tips are permitted,
and the Green Angels are happy to accept them. He reiterated, however, that the
service is free, and that tips are entirely optional.
In 2007 the nation's fleet of Green Angel trucks numbered 1,800; additional
vehicles are expected in March 2008. Motorists can easily recognize the white
with green stripes and lettering trucks with government logos painted on the
side. Drivers wear a green uniform and carry identification with their name and
photo around the neck.
-----------------------------------

Have a safe trip,

Preston

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Woooo Preston!
I hadn't thought about the Green Angels in some 15-years or so.
Maybe beacuse I haven't actully seen them on the hwys for 20-years or so.

[...]

--- Begin Message --- I've seen them the last two trips to Monterrey & Saltillo, especially that long empty section between Laredo and Monterrey. Last trip they were seen helping someone on the way down, and waiting under a bridge on the way back.

Don's iPhone.

On Dec 19, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Jon <cavefa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

We used to see them patrolling the roads a lot back in the 60s. It's been a
long time since I thought about them, too. Good to know they're still around.

From: donarb...@mac.com
To: cavefa...@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 17:54:09 -0600
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com; pns_...@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Mexico Green Angels

[...]

I enjoyed the recent printed copy of the Texas Caver. Good work!

Ron

From: "mark.al...@l-3com.com" <mark.al...@l-3com.com>