From: Glen Goldsmith
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Re: archiving your cave data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Expected_lifespan

In short, Mixon is right - you'll have to copy the contents of a CD-R/DVD-R
pretty often.  More so than 20 years though.  I've read an article, can't
remember where - that said a CD-R that could last 10 years was pretty good.
Organizing cd/dvd's by age seems like a good idea for this.  Who's got the
time for that though?

In the process of moving, I was able to get data off of CD-R's (single
speed, gold backed)  as late as 1996.  Silver backed single speed CD-RW's
written around this time were completely unreadable, causing me to lose some
data from that era.

Just don't be fooled that they'll last 20 or 30 years.  In my personal
experience, they don't.

Glen