Feds step in to protect endangered  species

_By Chris Cobb_
(http://herald-zeitung.com/contact.lasso?ewcd=6f6cf874d6a84ef1b95e37e9f79195568af7d827721a528e94756ad7a6117f2b&-session=HeraldZeitung:CD
BC74CC02c2e03AD3nXx22D6620)
The  Herald-Zeitung
Published January 12, 2010The federal government is reconsidering how much
land it  sets aside to protect insects and other endangered species in Comal
and Bexar  counties.

New Braunfels, a U.S. district court ruled in December that the U.S.  Fish
and Wildlife Service should re-evaluate how much protected critical habitat
it designates for 12 endangered species in the two counties.

The species  include three Comal County natives — the Peck’s Cave
Amphipod, the Comal Springs  Dryopid Beetle and the Comal Springs Riffle Beetle
— as
well as nine types of  cave-dwelling spiders and beetles in Bexar County.

“These 12 rare and  unique species need increased critical habitat
protections if they are going to  have any chance at survival,” said Noah
Greenwald
of the Tucson-based Center for  Biological Diversity in a written statement.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife  Service designated the critical habitat area
for the Bexar County animals in  2003, and for the three endangered Comal
species in 2007.

Animal  advocates argued that the amount of habitat set aside by the
government was  dramatically smaller than what scientists and researchers had
recommended,  shrinking the prescribed habitat in Bexar County from more than
9,500 acres to  just more than 1,000.

In Comal County, environmental groups complained  that the protected
habitat only included 30 to 40 acres around the springs, not  any portion of
the
Edwards Aquifer that feeds them.

In response, the  Center for Biological Diversity, Aquifer Guardians in
Urban Areas and New  Braunfels-based Citizens Alliance for Smart Expansion
jointly filed a federal  lawsuit in January 2009 to have the government
consider
giving the species a  larger protected area.

“These species are the canary in the coal mine for  our area,” said CASE
Director Sharon Lavett. “We need to protect their  environment and our
aquifer, not only for them, but for everybody.”

A  settlement between the groups and the federal government was reached on
Dec. 21,  giving federal entities a three-year window in which to
re-designate the  animals’ habitat. Under the settlement, the USFWS is mandated
have a new  habitat designation in place for the Bexar County species by 2012,
and for the  three Comal Springs species by 2013.

“We trust that the Obama  administration will give science its due and
dramatically increase the area of  protected critical habitat for these
species,”
 Greenwald said.
_http://herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5ca49eee68386b51_
(http://herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5ca49eee68386b51)