texascavers Digest 28 Jan 2010 07:05:46 -0000 Issue 955

Topics (messages 13422 through 13441):

And as for those aliens....
        13422 by: Corky

a key chain
        13423 by: David

breccia
        13424 by: BMorgan994.aol.com
        13428 by: Cave Without a Name
        13432 by: George Veni
        13435 by: Louise Power

What is it that we fear here?
        13425 by: BMorgan994.aol.com
        13434 by: Charles Goldsmith
        13436 by: wesley s
        13438 by: Corky

National Cave and Karst Research Institute Job Announcement!
        13426 by: George Veni

Re: Brad Pitt buys house with cave.
        13427 by: Diana Tomchick

Not too many speakers still needed for 2010 TSA Spring Convention
        13429 by: Diana Tomchick

paging Peter Sprouse
        13430 by: Diana Tomchick

Punkin trip full
        13431 by: Jim Kennedy
        13433 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: Landslide in San Antonio
        13437 by: Fritz Holt
        13439 by: Brian Riordan

Feb 9 NOVA on PBS, Extreme Cave Diving
        13440 by: Diana Tomchick

a caver's web-site
        13441 by: David

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---

On a lighter note......

 Alien Life Could Already Be on Earth, Say Scientists

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/26/alien-life-earth-say-scientists/?test=latestnews

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.zazzle.com/texas_caver_keychain-146906151691470073

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mystery rocks? Alien footprints? Pardon me, but it looks like plain  old
breccia to me. See:

_http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/sedrockindex/rocpicbreccia.htm_
(http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/sedrockindex/rocpicbreccia.htm)

Louise

No question about it being breccia, I just want to know how it happened.
How could such a cake mix slurry of broken chunks get embedded in
conventional  limestone then get spread in a thin flat layer across a wide
area? The
relative hardness could well be an unrelated issue.

Sleazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That same sort of breccia is on the CWAN property. I doubt that it's the KT
boundry but it is a mystery. If any of you geologists want a sample I'll show
you where it is. I'm pretty sure it's in the upper part of the Lower Glenrose
formation.

Mike Burrell
Manager
Cave Without a Name
  Mystery rocks? Alien footprints? Pardon me, but it looks like plain old
breccia to me. See:

  http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/sedrockindex/rocpicbreccia.htm

  Louise

  No question about it being breccia, I just want to know how it happened. How
could such a cake mix slurry of broken chunks get embedded in conventional
limestone then get spread in a thin flat layer across a wide area? The relative
hardness could well be an unrelated issue.

  Sleazel

07:33:00

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The breccia I've seen on the surface in central Texas, including at CWAN, is
usually one of three types:

1)      Cemented collapse of a old cave that is now exposed at the surface.
These are scattered randomly throughout the Texas karst.

2)     Breccia along a fault, where chunks of rock broke off as the rock
mass on either side moved against the other side, and then the chunks were
later cemented together. A nice example of such breccia is along the Haby
Crossing Fault behind the volunteer office at Government Canyon State
Natural Area.

3)     Colluvial breccia, where gravity pulled down part of hillside or
cliff and was later cemented together, is much less common and more widely
scattered in Texas.

None of these breccias match the broad, extensive, deposits Bruce describes
for the Yucatan. I don't recall seeing those when I was there and would want
to see them in the field before speculating on their origin.

George

Mystery rocks? Alien footprints? Pardon me, but it looks like plain old
breccia to me. See:

http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/sedrockindex/rocpicbreccia.htm

Louise

No question about it being breccia, I just want to know how it happened. How
could such a cake mix slurry of broken chunks get embedded in conventional
limestone then get spread in a thin flat layer across a wide area? The
relative hardness could well be an unrelated issue.

Sleazel

  _____

07:33:00

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There is a type of breccia called "impact breccia." For a better explanation
than I can give, see the following Wiki article on the Alamo bolide impact in
Nevada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_bolide_impact

or, better yet, Google "impact breccia."

Louise

From: bmorgan...@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:42:29 -0500
To: texascavers@texascavers.com

Mystery rocks? Alien footprints? Pardon me, but it looks like plain old breccia
to me. See:

http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig/sedrockindex/rocpicbreccia.htm

Louise

No question about it being breccia, I just want to know how it happened. How
could such a cake mix slurry of broken chunks get embedded in conventional
limestone then get spread in a thin flat layer across a wide area? The relative
hardness could well be an unrelated issue.

Sleazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Rusticaver:

How dare you question my belief in Oztotl? Have I not knelt before the
shrine lo these many times? Have I not sacrificed virgins? Have I not gargled
with the holy water?

It is true that my review of history causes me to fear all other forms of
false religion, including that of the Hebes, but has not Oztotl revealed his
 many splendors unto me, his marvels manifest?

I am unjustly accused of the religion of science and environmentalism, for
these are not matters of faith. For those for whom these are matters of
faith I  recommend the pantheism of Avatar in which the blue monkeys from outer
space  hold communion with other life forms by means of the pigtailed
umbilicus. They  live in a world much like our own, mostly composed of floating
karst wherein  they ride giant brightly colored reptilian bats. Their
religion may be true too,  but it is extraterrestrial and hence irrelevant.

Here in the subterranean realm there is but one true God and his name is
Oztotl! Hollowed be thy name!

Your most humble servant and seeker of the truth,

Sleazeweazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Not just you SW, but everyone, lets leave the religions out of this,
caving rarely relates to it and should be moved to the Off-Topic list.

Charles

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM,  <bmorgan...@aol.com> wrote:
> Rusticaver:
>
> How dare you question my belief in Oztotl? Have I not knelt before the
> shrine lo these many times? Have I not sacrificed virgins? Have I not
> gargled with the holy water?
>
> It is true that my review of history causes me to fear all other forms of
> false religion, including that of the Hebes, but has not Oztotl revealed his
> many splendors unto me, his marvels manifest?
>
> I am unjustly accused of the religion of science and environmentalism, for
> these are not matters of faith. For those for whom these are matters of
> faith I recommend the pantheism of Avatar in which the blue monkeys from
> outer space hold communion with other life forms by means of the pigtailed
> umbilicus. They live in a world much like our own, mostly composed of
> floating karst wherein they ride giant brightly colored reptilian bats.
> Their religion may be true too, but it is extraterrestrial and hence
> irrelevant.
>
> Here in the subterranean realm there is but one true God and his name is
> Oztotl! Hollowed be thy name!
>
> Your most humble servant and seeker of the truth,
>
> Sleazeweazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well done sir! Mediation at it's finest. The question now is, will these unruly
opinionated cavers (myself especially) heed your suggestion to leave well
enough alone? We shall see...

Wes~

> From: wo...@justfamily.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:52:41 -0600
> To: bmorgan...@aol.com
> CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] What is it that we fear here?
>
> Not just you SW, but everyone, lets leave the religions out of this,
> caving rarely relates to it and should be moved to the Off-Topic list.
>
> Charles
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM,  <bmorgan...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Rusticaver:
> >
> > How dare you question my belief in Oztotl? Have I not knelt before the
> > shrine lo these many times? Have I not sacrificed virgins? Have I not
> > gargled with the holy water?
> >
> > It is true that my review of history causes me to fear all other forms of
> > false religion, including that of the Hebes, but has not Oztotl revealed his
> > many splendors unto me, his marvels manifest?
> >
> > I am unjustly accused of the religion of science and environmentalism, for
> > these are not matters of faith. For those for whom these are matters of
> > faith I recommend the pantheism of Avatar in which the blue monkeys from
> > outer space hold communion with other life forms by means of the pigtailed
> > umbilicus. They live in a world much like our own, mostly composed of
> > floating karst wherein they ride giant brightly colored reptilian bats.
> > Their religion may be true too, but it is extraterrestrial and hence
> > irrelevant.
> >
> > Here in the subterranean realm there is but one true God and his name is
> > Oztotl! Hollowed be thy name!
> >
> > Your most humble servant and seeker of the truth,
> >
> > Sleazeweazel

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sleaze,
I like the lighter note. Cave softly.
Rusticated

bmorgan...@aol.com wrote:
[...]

Dear Friends,

The National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) continues to expand
its staff by hiring an Advancement Director to fund raise for NCKRI and
market its programs. I'm sending you this message because of your interest
in caves, karst, and NCKRI. While many of you won't be interested in the job
for yourselves, please forward this note to anyone you think may be
interested. You are also welcome to post it on websites and in newsletters.

The job announcement has recently been posted at
http://www.nmt.edu/images/stories/hr/pdfs/advdirnckri100-007.pdf. The
announcement has also been sent to newspapers and various organizations'
magazines and websites. We plan to accept applications through March 15th,
2009. If you have questions, please direct them to the contact listed on the
website. Caving experience or advanced knowledge of caves and karst, while
certainly welcome and helpful, are not required for this job. The
Advancement Director will play a vital role in generating funds and support
to continue building NCKRI's staff and programs, which includes assisting
NCKRI's friends and partners whenever possible.

George

***********************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

1400 Commerce Dr.

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220  USA

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

001-575-887-5517 (office)

001-210-863-5919 (mobile)

001-413-383-2276 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Take a look at this web site, which shows a current photo of both the "man cave" (more like a stone cellar) and of Brad, and you are likely to change your mind about him being sexy. That ugly, scraggly goatee is proof enough to me that Angelina kicked him out of the house, she has better taste than that.

http://tiny.cc/qDJUj

Diana

On Jan 26, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Mallory Mayeux wrote:

If I ever needed proof that Brad Pitt was sexy in every conceivable way....now I have it.
-Mallory

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM, <tbsam...@verizon.net> wrote:
According to the tabloids.. he's bought a bachelor pad with a cave.

T.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As of Wednesday morning, Bill Steele and I have secured ten volunteers to provide presentations for the Saturday sessions at the TSA Spring Convention. If you wish to give a presentation I would suggest that you contact us as soon as possible.

Typical cave-related topics could include (but are not limited to):

Archaeology
Biology
Diving
Exploration
Geology/Hydrology
Long-term caving projects
History
Photography
Restoration
Safety
Survey/GIS
Techniques

If you wish to speak, please contact both of us at:

speleoste...@tx.rr.com
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu

While Ellie is the coordinator of the event, we are responsible for scheduling the speakers. There are a limited number of time slots available for presentations, so you must contact us (rather than Ellie) if you wish to be assured of a chance to speak on Saturday.

Thanks,

Diana

Join the festivities at this year's TSA Spring Convention in Cedar Park/Austin at the TCC Headquarters on March 26-28!

Events include informational talks, Map & Photo Salons, speleovendors, TSA & TCMA meetings, and so much more. Check out the web site at

http://www.cavetexas.org/events/TSASC/tsasc2010.html

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Peter,

I sent a message to you about a week ago asking if you wanted to give a presentation at the TSA Convention. Please contact me,

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.
Email: diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
214-645-6383 (phone)
214-645-6353 (fax)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The remaining slots went quickly, but if you have a burning desire to join us on this trip, I can put you on a waiting list and let you know if someone drops out. Contact offlist please.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have a burning desire:

FOR TRIP REPORTS!

Please be sure to write something up and take a LOT of photos.

I'll be sure to use them in the next TC. (The 1st quarter issue is full
and almost ready for the printer).

Have a safe and productive trip!

Carry on. That is all.

Mark