I found his science fair project fascinating.

Back in 2004 or 2005, there was a post on Cavetex about beaming data from
the bottom of a surface pit up to the base-camp.    I think the
article suggested that
a new technology like Bluetooth would emerge.    The idea didn't have any
merit at that time, partly because there didn't seem to be a practical reason
for it.

But with text messaging, cavers can adopt a new set of standard speleo-texting
language ( STL ): like stalgmt, stalctit, H2O, gwno, freatic, vedoz, CaCO3,
CO2, falt, etc.

For example, the 1st responder could relay a message to the surface:

"vktim slippd n gwno, & trippd ovr stalgmt & hit hed on stalctit,
landed on bum &
slid dwn flwston, & fell n H20, & washd dwnstrm ovr falls.  Brok bth ankls.
Need strtchr team & rope!  Heez hypothrmk & hed bleedn "

The rescue team on the surface would get the following message:

"ktim slppdngwno, & trpp vrtalgmt & ht talctit, lad onum &
sldn flston, & fll n H0, & wsd dnstm or flls.  Bok th akls.
Ned trchr eam & ope!  eez ypothrm & ed ledn"

But they might be able to decipher part of that.

Also,

I wonder if the first cavers on Mars will use part of his
idea for communication?   Maybe he can get a NASA
contract?

Is there a potential market for an Portable Underground
Texting System ( PUTS )?

Which caves would this work best in?   the remote areas
of Jewel Cave or Wind Cave, or long sections of a lava tube
?    Any particular Texas cave where this might be handy?
The back of Airman's cave?

David Locklear