texascavers Digest 31 Jan 2010 16:51:30 -0000 Issue 959

Topics (messages 13471 through 13485):

Re: Sonora Butterfly
        13471 by: Brian Vauter

Cold weather tips of cave survival
        13472 by: Cristina Estrada
        13474 by: David
        13477 by: Rod Goke
        13479 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com
        13480 by: Mary Thiesse
        13483 by: Cristina Estrada

Sonora Butterfly guide guide talk
        13473 by: William H. Russell

My New Hero
        13475 by: Josh Rubinstein

Re: Calling George Paul from Houston
        13476 by: George-Paul Richmann

underground texting
        13478 by: Mixon Bill

Re: Cold weather tips of cave survival - MY COMMMENTS ABOUT DAVE'S COMMENTS
        13481 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com
        13484 by: Linda Palit
        13485 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com

Epic Honey Creek Cave trips rescheduled
        13482 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Going back to what the guide was "reported" to have said, the "quartz"
comment is something I have heard from many guides at
many caves. It's a prevalent guide "info-virus." I suspect it's a
mis-hearing of the word "coarse" in describing crystals. I heard this same
thing a number of years ago from a guide at Inner Space and was curious
where they got their info. The guide, when asked, said the formations were
made of quartz because the crystals were so big and they sparkled. I asked,
"you mean 'coarse,' like big or rough?" And she said, "yes. The crystals are
big or quartz." Our guides starting out will often make the same mistake.
And I've also heard it at Sonora.

How does this stuff get started? The best I can guess is that guides go and
visit other caves, hear what other guides say, and incorporate that into
their own tours. This is why I call such things info-viruses. And once a
guide gets "infected," they will often spread that mis-information to other
guides at their cave.

A good example of a prevalent info-virus was one that traveled around Texas
guides about 20 years ago. It went something like this:

"long ago" there was an electrical fire in [insert cave name here]. After
[X] number of [days/weeks/months], the smoke was smelled in this cave we're
in now [or insert another commercial cave name that's even further away].
This proves that all the caves in Texas are connected by tiny holes and
passages which allowed the smoke to travel that distance.

When I first started as a guide back in high school, I had heard this very
story from the guide who was training me at the time. He said that he had
heard it from a guide at Sonora. Not knowing any better, I used that same
story on my tours. It always got a good response. A couple of years later,
we did a trip to other commercial caves and we heard it at Wonder World and
also at Inner Space. The Inner Space guide said he had heard it from a tour
at NBC. The last time I heard this tale was around 1995, and it was at
Longhorn. But I never heard it after that. So I suppose somewhat similar to
an actual virus, it takes time to run through a population and eventually
dies out - or the population dies off (in this case quits) and the virus
dies out.

Please don't go and tell a guide this story ... like polio, it's a good
thing this one is gone!

The "going blind after [x] number of [days/weeks/months] of total darkness"
is another good example, and this is what I would consider as the longest
lasting guide mistakes. I heard it when I started at NBC, used it until I
found out otherwise, and I still hear it from time to time. It's a hard one
to kill.

Brian

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi to all,  I'll go to Honey creek cave next weeks. This is my first wet
cave in cold weather conditions. I checked, and the weather conditions
suggest 60's/40's. I assumme the temperature inside the cave is more or less
stable during the year, but still it's gonna be cold.  What suggestions do
you have to keep warm inside the cave? Should I wear a 6 mil wetsuit? How to
keep hands, feet warm?  How to avoid getting a cold? Should you have a
specific blanket outside the cave so when you get out you wrapped yourself
immediatly?

Also they predict some rain. Is it safe to cave when is raining?

Thanks for your advice,
Cristina Estrada

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I will try to answer part of Cristina's question.

I think different cavers are going to answer the question differently,
especially
ones that have done Honeycreek in the wintertime many times.

First,

I think everybody will agree that neoprene socks on your feet are the
best thing you can have on your feet in a wet cave like Honeycreek.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_831192_imageset_01?$main-Large$

2nd,

rubber boots that lace up also work well.   The laces allow you to
keep the boot tight
around your ankle to protect from sprains and also to keep mud and grit out of
your boots.    Rubber boots that don't lace up will also work, but
occasionally you
will have to empty out the mud and grit.   You could wrap up your ankle with
sports tape prior to putting on the neoprene bootie if you are wearing non-lace
up rubber boots.

The recommended boots are called "6 inch polyblend work shoe":

     http://www.gemplers.com/product/127507/Lace-up-6-PVC-Plain-Toe-Boots

I think every Honeycreek caver agrees these are suitable for Honeycreek.

[ I believe that the Onguard brand is less expensive than the Bata brand ]

Better boots are available, but just harder to find and more expensive, so
I would recommend you try these $ 25 ones first.   They should last you
several years.

3rd,

As for 6 mil wetsuit, I think everybody will say that is too thick for
going upstream
from the shaft.

What you could do is wear a thin snorkling suit ( 1 mm or less ),

     http://www.tommydsports.com/products/pages/8802.htm

and then put a 2 mm farmer john type wetsuit over it, that only covers
the thighs, butt and chest.   That way you can easily move around and
not feel constricted in your suit.   This makes it easier to wear
knee-pads and elbow pads.

     http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/products/b_neosport-s536mf.gif

Or you could wear the 1mm snorkeling suit under a pair of nylon caving overalls,
if you don't get cold easily.

On a thru-trip, a 6 mm wet-suit would help you float the swimming
section easier, but
I think fat cavers will say 6 mm is too thick, especially on the arms.

I think it important to have a front zipper.   Back zippers are not suitable for
caving.

[  Sidenote:  On the subject of wet-suits; you will tear up a wet-suit
pretty fast if you do a lot of caving in a crawling wet cave.   There
is no reason to purchase an expensive wet-suit.   If you are lucky,
you can find a used one that is perfect for caving for under $ 20.
Look at resale shops like Goodwill.   Scuba shops may have some, but
they may be a little more
expensive. ]

In some cold caves, you could warm up while sitting around a tiny
sterno can.   But I don't know if cavers do that in Honeycreek.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterno

As for what to wear on your hands, wear neoprene gloves like what
water-skiers use.   The neoprene gloves that divers use are too thick
and will not allow you to maneuver your fingers to do things like take
photos or survey.  [ However, the divers gloves work great for
"salamandering," if you are fortunate enough to find a cave where you
can do that. ]

If you are the kind of person that gets cold easily in a cave, then
you could stash a sweater
and a hat at the bottom of the shaft in a plastic bag.

As for what to do as you exit the shaft in the winter-time,

it is best to have cavers top-side sitting around a large camp-fire.
Have a towel ready to dry off, especially your hair.   Immediately put
on a wool-knit ski hat.     Your wet-suit should keep you warm long
enough to find a sweater.   Have some warm dry boots in easy reach
at your car, so you can warm up your feet.   If it is in the 40's, you
will probably want to put
on a parka-type coat after getting on your sweater, if you are not
accustomed to cold weather.

A cup of hot cocoa or hot de-caf tea will feel refreshing.    You
could stash a thermos at
the bottom of the shaft if you were really worried about getting cold
in the cave.

Maybe decaf coffee might help.   Haven't tried that.

Shortly after getting dried off and warm, you might have some hot
tacos wrapped in foil
to put over the fire, but more than likely you are going to be too
exhausted and just want
to curl up in a warm sleeping bag and sleep.

Sounds like fun.   I wish I could have been there.

David Locklear

On 1/30/10, Cristina Estrada <ara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to all,  I'll go to Honey creek cave next weeks. This is my first wet
> cave in cold weather conditions. I checked, and the weather conditions
> suggest 60's/40's. I assumme the temperature inside the cave is more or less
> stable during the year, but still it's gonna be cold.  What suggestions do
> you have to keep warm inside the cave? Should I wear a 6 mil wetsuit? How to
> keep hands, feet warm?  How to avoid getting a cold? Should you have a
> specific blanket outside the cave so when you get out you wrapped yourself
> immediatly?
>
> Also they predict some rain. Is it safe to cave when is raining?
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Cristina Estrada

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I won't try to compete with all the detail that David wrote about what to wear, but here are a few comments that might help to answer some of your questions.

Flooding hazard:

The bad news is that Honey Creek Cave certainly can flood enough to be dangerous. In some sections, especially in certain parts of the through trip route, there is very little air space (as little as a few inches in some places) above the normal water level, so a small rise in water level can leave no breathing room at all in these critical locations. The good news, however, is that the water levels in Honey Creek usually do not rise very quickly. The cave has lots of natural dams in its stream passages, so in most areas, the normal water level is determined by the height of the next dam downstream. Whenever the water flow rate increases (because of rain upstream), more water flows over the dam such that a large increase in flow rate causes only a small increase in water depth behind the dam. Caution should be used in wet weather. The cavers who organize Honey Creek trips should be familiar enough with the conditions there to know when to postpone or cancel a trip due to hazardous weather.

Keeping warm inside the cave:

Temperature inside the cave should be practically the same any time of year, regardless of the outside temperature, except, of course, when you are very near an entrance. One advantage of cold weather, however, is that you are less likely to encounter "bad air" inside the cave in winter than you are in summer. The main disadvantage of cold weather is what it can do to you outside the cave, not inside, but I'll address that later.

What you'll need to keep warm inside the cave will depend largely on where you go and what you do in the cave. If you do the through trip, you most likely will spend most of your time swimming or wading such that your entire body, except for your head, will be under water. For this, you will want a full wetsuit and fins, similar to those used by SCUBA divers. Since you will spend most of your time swimming with fins, you will want to wear wetsuit booties suitable for use with fins. These should have soles thick enough so that you can comfortably walk, climb, and/or crawl short distances over rocks and dry ground but, unlike caving boots, they should be thin enough to be worn with swim fins. The fins used for Honey Creek through trips are like those used for SCUBA, but it is preferable to use "floaters" instead of "sinkers" so that you are less likely to lose a fin if you accidently drop it in deep muddy water. Most SCUBA fins are designed to be almost neutrally buoyant, but some will slowly sink while others will slowly float to the surface when dropped in water. In my experience, white fins are more likely to float and black fins are more likely to sink, but it depends on the specific brand and model of fin, and the people who sell them usually don't know the sinkers from the floaters, because most SCUBA divers don't care. When I bought fins for use in Honey Creek a number of years ago, I went to a SCUBA shop with a pool in their back room, and the salesman tested various fins by placing them in the pool until we found some that didn't sink. For the through trip, you also will want some sort of floatation device to make prolonged swimming easier. One way to do this is to carry a cave pack large enough to contain a couple of large empty (air filled) soft drink bottles, which will cause your pack to float. You swim belly down with your arms over your floating pack and with your legs moving the fins behind you. During a through trip, you are not likely to sit still very long unless you stop to eat, so exercise will help to keep you warm most of the time.

Other types of Honey Creek trips, however, can involve different conditions. For example, some of the upstream areas and side passages have mostly shallow water and mud where you will have little or no use for fins and will have to walk, wade, crawl, and/or salamander most of the time instead of swimming. In this case, you might not carry fins and might not care about adding floatation to your pack beyond whatever is needed to prevent the pack from sinking if accidentally dropped. For these conditions, you might want to wear boots like those David recommended, along with some socks that will keep your feet warm when wet. Neoprene socks (which differ from wetsuit booties in that they don't have thick soles) are best, but you'll need boots larger than what you normally wear to allow for the thickness of neoprene socks. Your upper body might be out of the water much of the time, so full wetsuit covering of the upper body is less essential. You might tend to get uncomfortably warm from exercise while actively moving through the passages but then get uncomfortably cold while surveying or otherwise do things that involve less exercise. You might prefer to wear a wetsuit bottom or farmer john style wetsuit, combined with upper body clothing you can adjust for different degrees of warmth. For example, you might use a thin wetsuit top or paddling jacket that can be zipped or unzipped in front to help control temperature. For extra warmth during periods of inactivity, you might want to put on a polypro balaclava and jacket, which you can remove and carry in a dry bag whenever you resume strenuous activity. A polypro balaclava takes very little room in a pack and, for its weight and bulk, is one of the most effective things you can carry to provide extra warmth when needed.

Keeping warm onside the cave:

If you're dressed adequately to stay comfortably warm inside the cave, then you probably will remain comfortable for a little while after emerging from the cave in cold weather, but before you have time to get chilled, its a good idea to dry off and change into something warm and dry. A campfire feels good if someone can get it going early enough to warm those emerging from the cave. One rather unusual thing I did sometimes after caving in Honey Creek was to take a warm outdoor shower before changing into dry clothes. Before driving out to Honey Creek, I'd fill a 10 gallon insulated water cooler with hot water. By the time I got out of the cave, the water had cooled down to a comfortable warm shower temperature, so I'd tie the water cooler to a tree limb and shower beneath it. This felt good in moderately cool weather, but I don't think I'd try it in really cold mid-winter weather.

I haven't been in Honey Creek in a number of years, but back when I was caving regularly, Honey Creek was my favorite Texas cave. Hope you enjoy it.

Rod