There were some ants in South Texas that made underground nests which humped up above ground (sorta like fireant mounds except 10x bigger) and which created large subsurface voids. On more than one occasion we were unlucky enough to drive over these mounds hidden by tall pasture grass and the front tire of the pick-up fell into them and the truck got stuck and we had to get towed out. It is my recollection that these were a type of leaf-cutter ant which, by the way, don't (or didn't) sting. Those events DID create specific memories.
--Ediger

sounds a lot like the termite mounds of madagascar.