texascavers Digest 2 Oct 2009 15:24:15 -0000 Issue 863

Topics (messages 12212 through 12229):

Re: earthquakes
        12212 by: Fritz Holt

Re: new Texas laws
        12213 by: Alex Sproul
        12214 by: Louise Power
        12216 by: Mark Minton
        12217 by: George Veni
        12218 by: Ron Rutherford
        12221 by: Fritz Holt
        12222 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        12223 by: Ed Alexander
        12224 by: Louise Power
        12226 by: Louise Power
        12227 by: Frank Binney
        12228 by: David

Re: TCR 2009:
        12215 by: germanyj.aol.com

Re: New laws
        12219 by: rafal kedzierski
        12220 by: Fritz Holt

Paging Michael Krell Jr.
        12225 by: Mark Alman

TSA Fall Business Meeting Agenda at TCR - Sunday, October 18th
        12229 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:28:29 -0500
From: gi...@att.net
To: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] new Texas laws

I think it would be a good idea to have all the new laws (even the old ones)
posted by category on the internet so we could review them to see which ones we
are breaking now. They are always making new laws about riding in the back of
pickups and campers, wearing seat belts, etc. It could get to the point where I
can't put 8 people in my roll-cage speleocamper to go caving or to the NSS
convention like we used to. Seat belts are a good idea and my older camper used
to have some, but what about those people sleeping in the back--do they need
bed belts?

--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
        Louise Power said:

>In Oregon it would be a moot point. It's against the law (unless you're a dog) to ride in the bed of a pickup.

I think several states have laws against riding in an open pickup bed, but I don't know that those laws apply to someone riding inside a camper shell in/on a pickup bed. Inside a camper ought to be about as safe as riding in the back of a van or station wagon, and maybe safer than riding in a convertible, at least if the camper had seat belts. Of course logic never stopped legislators from passing stupid laws...

Mark

Date: Wed=2C 30 Sep 2009 15:28:29 -0500
From: gi...@att.net
To: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com

I think it would be a good idea to have all the new laws (even the old ones=
) posted by category on the internet so we could review them to see which o=
nes we are breaking now. They are always making new laws about riding in th=
e back of pickups and campers=2C wearing seat belts=2C etc. It could get to=
 the point where I can't put 8 people in my roll-cage speleocamper to go ca=
ving or to the NSS convention like we used to. Seat belts are a good idea a=
nd my older camper used to have some=2C but what about those people sleepin=
g in the back--do they need bed belts?=20

--Ediger

You may reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Many people complain about laws against people riding in the back of open
pick-up trucks. There is a good reason for those laws. Having worked 8 years
as a paramedic driving ambulances long ago, I can tell you that sudden
braking can send people flying out of a truck's bed, over the cab, in front
of the truck, where they get run over by the truck as it comes to a halt. It
ain't pretty.

George

>In Oregon it would be a moot point. It's against the law (unless you're a
dog) to ride in the bed of a pickup.

        I think several states have laws against riding in an open pickup
bed, but I don't know that those laws apply to someone riding inside a
camper shell in/on a pickup bed.  Inside a camper ought to be about as safe
as riding in the back of a van or station wagon, and maybe safer than riding
in a convertible, at least if the camper had seat belts.  Of course logic
never stopped legislators from passing stupid laws...

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Before I was 18, I prob. logged more hours in the back of a pickup truck
than inside any vehicle.  Sure I fell out a couple of times, but I was a
dumbass back then, well maybe a little still now.  How are country folk
supposed to get around?

--
Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
Ain't you ever heard of walking five miles in a snowstorm to get to school? :)

________________________________
Before I was 18, I prob. logged more hours in the back of a pickup truck than
inside any vehicle.  Sure I fell out a couple of times, but I was a dumbass
back then, well maybe a little still now.  How are country folk supposed to get
around?

--
Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Country people? More like poor people. Paging Tom Joad.

Oct 1, 2009 02:52:29 PM, rcrutherf...@gmail.com wrote:
Before I was 18, I prob. logged more hours in the back of a pickup truck than inside any vehicle.  Sure I fell out a couple of times, but I was a dumbass back then, well maybe a little still now.  How are country folk supposed to get around?

--
Ron Rutherford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Of that we are certain......

Mark Minton wrote:
Of course logic never stopped legislators from passing stupid laws...

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I know in most states you can't ride in a trailer being towed, but if you have
one of those gigantic, gas/diesel eating buses, you can run all around in it as
long as you're not driving. I'm not even sure there are rules about your
spouse, kids or other folks buckling up while you're sailing down the road.

Louise

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:27:35 -0400
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
From: mmin...@caver.net

Date: Wed=2C 30 Sep 2009 15:28:29 -0500
From: gi...@att.net
To: gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com

I think it would be a good idea to have all the new laws (even the old ones=
) posted by category on the internet so we could review them to see which o=
nes we are breaking now. They are always making new laws about riding in th=
e back of pickups and campers=2C wearing seat belts=2C etc. It could get to=
 the point where I can't put 8 people in my roll-cage speleocamper to go ca=
ving or to the NSS convention like we used to. Seat belts are a good idea a=
nd my older camper used to have some=2C but what about those people sleepin=
g in the back--do they need bed belts?=20

--Ediger
You may reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
When I was working in Ely, NV, I was still an EMT. I stopped for gas on my way
to Reno one evening and they brought these cowboys in who'd rolled a pickup in
an effort to turn onto the highway from a gravel road. They'd been imbibing.
One guy just had cuts and bruises, but the other one had hurt his head and
neck. And, they'd lost their dog out of the bed of the truck. I cleaned the
cuts and butterflied them shut and jerry-rigged a collar for the other guy's
neck out of a folded up bath towel. One of the guys that worked at the
restaurant/bar/gas station put the two in his truck to drive them 40 miles to
the nearest hospital (less time than waiting for an ambulance) along with my
admonition not to let the guy with the head injury go to sleep. I waited while
some of the other guys went to look for the dog. The dog had some scrapes which
I cleaned up, but I think that when he sensed the truck going over he jumped
and missed the worst of it. What did I get out of it? Free gas.

Louise

>In Oregon it would be a moot point. It's against the law (unless you're a dog)
>to ride in the bed of a pickup.

        I think several states have laws against riding in an open pickup bed,
but I don't know that those laws apply to someone riding inside a camper shell
in/on a pickup bed.  Inside a camper ought to be about as safe as riding in the
back of a van or station wagon, and maybe safer than riding in a convertible,
at least if the camper had seat belts.  Of course logic never stopped
legislators from passing stupid laws...

Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There was a ³riding in a pickup bed² tragedy with some Missouri cavers a few
years back. Three boys from the Deep Ozarks Grotto were riding in the back
of an open pickup truck on the way home from a cave trip when the driver
lost control and the truck went off the highway and into the Buffalo River.
The Missourians in the back of the truck couldn¹t get the tailgate down in
time and drowned.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I heard they were on a flat bed truck and the water was only 2 feet deep.

Had they stayed on the truck bed and waited for help to arrive, they
would have just got a sunburn,
but they decided to wade downstream looking for help, because somebody
told them that was the fastest way to find help.

But the road was just a few feet away had they
waded back to shore.

They eventually ran out of Budweiser and died of thirst, so it only
look like they drowned.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

 A Cajun chef/friend of mine offers this suggestion for appetizers:

Stuffed Jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise, remove membrane and seeds,
fill with cream cheese and chives (sold in the dairy dept)
put 2 pieces of shrimp on cream cheese, season w/Tony’s
and put 2 pieces of bacon over shrimp.
Cook for 30-45 min on grill or till bacon is done (not crisp) cool and serv.