I am reminded of my mother's purchase of a Dodge passenger van in 1965. She had 6 children and needed a vehicle large enough for all 8 people plus it needed to do double duty hauling sacks of feed and farm equipment. Back then seat belts were standard equipment only for the front two seats. The guys at the dealership complained mightily when she insisted that he install seat belts for ALL the seats in the van, as they had never been required to do this by a customer. My mother told them that by forcing us to wear the seat belts, it limited the amount of fighting we could do with each other (we could only reach our nearest neighbors), and thereby limited the amount of distractions she had while driving.

The real reason was that she subscribed to Consumer Reports and was aware of the dangers of not wearing safety restraints in an accident, but she knew that if she mentioned that they would have laughed at her.

Every time I watch the TV show "Mad Men" I am reminded of how much our attitudes have changed about smoking, drinking, drinking and driving, etc., and I do not long for the "good old days" at all.

Diana

On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:35 PM, cavera...@aol.com wrote:

I bought an old cargo van from my cousin years ago, and I didn't like the fact that it only had two captain's seats. I found another seat with seatbelts at a junkyard, and had it installed for not much money.

Roger Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: wwildch...@aol.com
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Sent: Fri, Oct 2, 2009 12:25 pm
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] new Texas laws

I think all the occupants on the Powerwagon Bus have to be strapped in. ( Unless there are 16 cavers on board ). Feel free to correct me on that.

Unless you remove the seatbelts behind the front seats. :-7
The law is specific in that it is only an offense "Provided the vehicle is equiped with a safety belt".

And per Section 547.601 which outlines what "equiped with a seatbelt" means:
ยง 547.601. SAFETY BELTS REQUIRED.  A motor vehicle
required by Chapter 548 to be inspected shall be equipped with front
safety belts if safety belt anchorages were part of the
manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.

There is

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.