texascavers Digest 20 Oct 2009 11:15:12 -0000 Issue 873

Topics (messages 12362 through 12385):

Re: How was TCR?
        12362 by: Terri Sprouse

Priest's Grotto Story (Chris Nicola) - Oct. 24, 2009 (Saturday)
        12363 by: Lyndon Tiu
        12364 by: Louise Hose

Texas Cavers Reunion
        12365 by: Allan B. Cobb
        12366 by: Sheryl Rieck
        12372 by: Ron Miller
        12374 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net
        12375 by: germanyj.aol.com

TCR 2009
        12367 by: Allan B. Cobb
        12368 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com
        12371 by: Butch Fralia
        12382 by: Allan B. Cobb
        12383 by: David Ochel
        12385 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Vote
        12369 by: Ron Ralph

Birthday party for Monica
        12370 by: Gill Edigar

Volunteers needed
        12373 by: Ron Ralph

The Mexican
        12376 by: Andy Gluesenkamp

PEP Thanksgiving Trip
        12377 by: Gill Edigar

TCR Lost and Found
        12378 by: Allan B. Cobb

Congratulations to caver Jim McLane
        12379 by: David

Bat story
        12380 by: Aimee Beveridge

A few Ed Alexander photos
        12381 by: Frank Binney

Mars related
        12384 by: David

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Not a problem, Julia. Sorry you could not make it, but the cooks had plenty of
help.

There is some sad news coming from TCR. . . coming soon, I guess.

Terri

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

6:00 pm

Texas Speleological Survey office, Building 18-A

JJ Pickle Research Center

Off Burnet Road north of Rutland

Ron

280-9648

A detailed map to the JJ Pickle Research Campus can be found at
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/prc/ On PRC map 2 ("NW Area"), 18-A is the little
building just above the "ra" in "Granberry". Park to the south in the PETEX
lot across the street (Read Granberry Trail) from building 18-A. Remember
that you must arrive before 6:00 pm, or the gate guards might not let you
in!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am going to rent this movie and drink some mescal while I watch it.  If you
don't know why, rent it yourself and pay close attention to the old gringo
waiting for the phone.

Andy

Andrew G. Gluesenkamp, Ph.D.
700 Billie Brooks Drive
Driftwood, Texas 78619
(512) 799-1095
a...@gluesenkamp.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The PEP area caves will be open for caving during the 9-day Thanksgiving
holiday week beginning on the evening of Friday the 20th November through
Sunday the 29th. A shorter trip is possible but not likely to be as
productive. As always, drivers with high-clearance 4-WD vehicles are needed
to haul people and gear up to that remote site. We are still concentrating
on route finding and cave familiarization for future exploration/survey team
leaders so if you are interested in that come down and pick out a work area.
There are over 2000 unchecked leads in this 95 kilometer long mostly
horizontal system. Great caving awaits you. Contact me at this e-address or
call 410-303-1177 to confirm or for more information.--Ediger

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have the lost and found stuff from TCR. If you are missing something I might have it. I have towels, clothes, shoes, a watch and a flashlight. Describe it and I'll get it back to you.

Also, I have reports of two missing cameras. Both are Olympus cameras. One is silver and the other is silver and green. The silver and green one has Shade written on it. It is also in a neoprene case. If you found or have any information on either camera, please contact me.

Thanks
Allan

Sent from my iPhone

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This is cave related, because it is about a Texas caver,and his proposal
could some day have an effect on the
future of caving.

For as long as I can remember, Jim McLane, has been sharing
his proposal with cavers about sending an astronaut to Mars
on a one-way mission.    For years, he has been trying to get NASA and
other space program leaders to listen to him.

Well, today he made the front page of the Houston Chronicle.   So
maybe NASA, finally has to formally put his plan on the table, as
all the other plans now seem even more un-realistic.

Unfortunately, the Houston Chronicle is not a respected newspaper,
and lately it has become lame.      This particular article appears to have
been written for an 8th grade level audience, and the author writes like
a freshman college student.

Anyways, if NASA were to do it Jim's way, we could have a an astronaut
on Mars in 15 years, and he would most likely be able to look for caves
and explore them, as he would have an immediate need to find shelter.

On that part, I strongly agree with Jim and support his proposal.

What I disagree with ( and especially with the Chinese proposal ) is, "what
is the
definition of man?"    They keep saying "put a man on Mars."

My proposal is to find the smallest human available that is healthy enough
survive the trip, and design the capsule around him or her.    I would even
propose
considering a parapelgic who is already psychologically accustomed to
confinement.
And 3rd, I would propose a hard-landing versus the Apollo style landings.

I hope Jim succeeds in his endeavors with this as it is his life goal.
 Also, I hope
he gets credit for his ideas, and that his ideas are not hijacked by
somebody who
steals them.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_101909ENB-rare-bat-find-SW.232539750.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A posted a few recent photos of Ed on Facebook yesterday. Cavers who aren't
on Facebook can see them via this public link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041427&id=1172443723&l=56982bf669

--Frank

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
According to Glen Cushing, a scientist at the USGS, one area of Mars likely
to have some long large lava tube caves is on the slopes of the volcano
below:

     http://www.solarviews.com/raw/mars/arsia.gif

You can zoom in once by clicking on the photo.

Note numerous large holes which in some cases are nearly a kilometer apart.

This is the same area that was discussed on CaveTex in 2007 when photos of
large pits
were first released.

Ref:

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2330

Note he thinks that robots will someday do our caving for us.

There is a problem with that theory.    The current robots require an
operator using radio remote control to tell the robot which moves to make.
 Any speleo-robot would have to have the capability to make caving decision
on his own.     Such as, "should I use a figure 8 knot here, or a bowline ?"
    I don't think any of us will live long enough to see a robot make those
kind of decisions.

So the next choice would be some kind of tethered speleo-robot.    But once
the cave reaches a kilometer long, that would not be practical.

The best bet would be to develop some kind of specialized ridge-walker with
GPS, video, and
sensors, that would have the capability to fire some kind of probe into a
pit or cave entrance.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---