About a year ago, I posted something about new diesel SUV's with 4WD.    I
was
hoping by now, that there would be a rugged SUV on the market with a diesel
engine,
but that does not seem to be the case.

Audi has a diesel SUV, if you don't mind spending $ 52,000 plus.

     http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/07/q7fortrock-526x350.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but it is rumored to be available.

It has All-Wheel Drive, but it doesn't look rugged enough to take up into
the mountains.      Would you drive it up to Pink Panther Cave ?
( Maybe in the snow, with tire chains ? )

The best diesel SUV choice now, seems to be to find a used one on the web.

The Ford Excursion was readily available in a real 4 wheel drive with solid
axles front and back.
I thought I heard that 2005 was the last year, but there seems to be plenty
of those available on the web.

Jeep stopped making the diesel version of the Liberty in 2006, and you can
find those on the web now.     I heard the motor gave owners trouble,
and they are expensive.

Jeep had a Grand Cherokee last year that was a diesel, but I think they
were rare.  ( There is one for sale in Bonham, TX on e-bay. ).     Jeep's
web-site does not list the diesel motor as an option on the 2009 model.

Has anybody seen a late model diesel Suburban lately ?    I don't recall
seeing one
for years.

I am disappointed in the SUV market at the moment.     All the
new SUV's seem to look a like, and most are either ugly or silly or just not
meant for off-road, and all are way way over-priced.

Here is something for you diesel lovers out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5XUru7jZY&feature=related

David Locklear