I imagine someone else will post a more detailed report,
but just in case they don't; I thought I would post this:

There was a historical caving event that took place this past
Saturday near Houston.

I don't know how many historical caving events have ever happened
this far east from the Center of the Universe, but I do recall a NSS BOG
meeting here in 1989.    And back in the 70's, there was some kind
of caving publication going on here.

Anyways, about 40 something cavers from across the state, gathered
for a party in the suburban town of Friendswood.

I can name quiet a few of the cavers there, but won't because I am
sure I would leave somebody off.

I seem to recall the party being mentioned during ICS by Louise Hose,
as an after ICS gathering.    Anyways, she hosted the party.

Sometime around Sept. 16th, it was worked out to have caver Chris
Nicola come down from New York and give a presentation on his
discovery in the Ukraine and the book he wrote.   I believe Jay
Jorden may have had a big hand in that, and maybe Laura Ridgeway ?

Either way, Jay went way beyond the call of duty as a caver to drive
all the way from Dallas to the Houston airport to pick up Mr. Nicola.

On October 18th, and 22nd invitations were sent out on Cavetex,
but I believe cavers had already been talking about it privately
thru e-mails.

The party started in a plane hanger in Louise's back yard.   She lives
just a few feet from an tiny private airstrip, that serves about a dozen
families that have airplanes in their back-yard.    It is the closest thing
to the Jetsons that I have ever seen.

When I arrived, there were already lots of cavers there eating barbeque
and drinking beer.    Pumpkin Ale was one of the beers:

     http://www.finewinehouse.com/ProductImages/PumpkinAle6pk.jpg

The deviled eggs were scrumpious, but they went too quickly.

There was lots of desserts.

Soon, Barb Macloed started performing cave ballads on her acoustic
guitar.    She started with the old classic, "Plastic Justrite."

    http://www.wingedseed.com/rstitt/cavsng94.html#Justrite

Many of her songs go way back to the early 60's, long before some of the
attendees were born, or at least started caving.

She played a lot of songs to a very attentive audience.

The weather was awesome.

After the performance, Mr. Chris Nicola, gave his 81st presentation on
the story that his book is about.    He went into great detail and gave a
slide show in an effort to show the work that was involved getting this
story to publication.    I missed most of the show, so someone else
will have to explain all about it.

You can click on the link below:

     http://books.google.com/

and search for "Chris Nicola" and you will get a lot of info about the book.

By the end of the show, many people were putting on their sweaters.
Something
you don't do in Houston very often.

     After the show, I had to leave, but it looked like several cavers
continued
to party and some were either camping out or visiting other friends or
family in the Houston area.

It was really great to be able to attend a major caving event so close to
home.
In 25 years, that has never happened for me.   It was less than an hour
drive
from my house.

I would like to thank all the cavers that came from so far away.   Now you
know
how I feel, having to drive from here to the Center of the Universe.

Cheers,

David Locklear