The Earth's magnetic field varies continuously in time and space, including
by elevation. Thus, any computation you make has to consider location and
time. The Geomag program is the world standard, it is used to calibrate
aircraft compasses, although I don't imagine too many pilots rely on a
compass any more. Geomag can be found at:

http://geomag.usgs.gov/models/models/
If you want to check a compass, it isn't difficult to set up a location to
do so. I've done this before using survey-grade GPS equipment (I can borrow
this from my job), setting markers (at least one non-metalic), computing
geographic coordinates from the GPS, then using Geomag to compute the
predicted compass bearings. Alternatively, highly accurate coordinates can
sometimes be found for a location near you from the National Geodetic Survey
web site for objects you could use to take bearings, such as water towers.
Back in the days of optical geodetic surveying, water towers and smokestacks
were sometimes used as reference marks and including in network adjustments.
The NGS survey markers can be found at:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl

Theoretically you should use Geomag every time to compute the bearings but
the bearings don't change very quickly. I could do this for Sandia Grotto if
anyone thinks it would be useful to have a survey course.

Another method would be to simply compare a bunch of compasses, but it is
satisfying to have an exact answer.

Scott Christenson