Thanks, Bill, for the China update.

>>>The lengths some people will go to to avoid a nice 491-meter free drop  are
>>>amazing. They have 37 rebelays in that shaft. TAG cavers would  probably
>>>bolt out a ways at the top to get a sporting free drop, instead of an
>>>underground obstacle course. – Mixon<<<<<

It’s partly a matter of philosophy, and part practicality.   Are you interested
in exploring a much virgin cave as possible in a remote and difficult area, or
are you after a single gee-whiz descent?   I can remember when rappelling was
not a sport in itself, but rather something to be avoided if you could do so,
from safety considerations.   That’s not to deny my own sense of exhilaration
and thrill on a Big One.

Rope weight and volume is a significant consideration, not only inside the
caves themselves, but just getting to the caves. Handling a single 500 meter
rope can become a logistical nightmare.   So in a practical sense, using
several shorter ropes is a desirable idea for expedition caving. How many times
do you really need a single rope that long?   The answer is never, if you can
get to a wall and set a bolt.   Safety and speed are also improved using a
number of rebelays, especially on exit after a long expedition.   It’s nice to
be able to rest without holding everyone else up.   1,500 feet is a long way to
climb, even if you are using stairs and have no pack.

DirtDoc