  From: Mixon Bill
  To: Cavers Texas
  Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:00 PM
  Subject: [Texascavers] archiving your cave data

  Don't spend extra money on "archival" CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. As I've pointed
  out before, _any_ such media, properly stored (which doesn't mean in
  sealed in dry nitrogen, just in a case, upright, like a book on a
  shelf, in normal indoor environment) will "outlast the technology,"
  which means that the data on it will be good when you no longer have
  anything that will read it. Estimates for R media are at least 200
  years; for RW, 50 years. Those little hard-shell 3.5-inch floppies
  were introduced only 25 years ago; seen one lately? I don't think even
  David's elaborate scheme of including the necessary hardware in a time
  capsule would work. Modern computer chips will probably not last that
  long even if not powered, due to diffusion of the atoms in the
  extremely tiny features. Anyway, there wouldn't be any convenient way
  to get the data out of the computer, even if you could read it on
  screen. Who will have a USB cable 500 years from now?

  Just assume electonically archived data will have to be recopied every
  twenty years to keep up with hardward and software evolution. Or of
  course, for the Luddite, good-quality paper or black-and-white
  microfilm film are considered archival and don't require much
  equipment to read. -- Mixon