From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:55 AM
To: Cavers Texas
Subject: [Texascavers] aquifer question

I live about 300 meters from sewage treatment plant that dumps the treated
sewage directly into
a creek that flows 1 mile downstream to the Brazos River, and then 100 miles or
so
later ends up in the Gulf.

What happens to all the treated sewage water in the Edwards Aquifer area ?

On a related note, but mainly for you birders:

If you look at the discharge into this creek, it stinks really bad
for over 100 meters.   The marshy creek at the discharge is full of cattail
like vegetation growing in the water and lots of water birds.

I am not a birder ( yet ), but I think it is common to see the marsh
feeding birds at the discharge, like:  Great Blue Heron, Black-crowed Night
Heron,
Reddish Egret, Roseate Spoonbill, Snowy Egret, Tri-colored Heron, White Ibis,
etc.

There is also lots of nutria in a culvert downstream.  Other critters in the
area are turtles.

But I haven't seen any fish.   The marshy creek is only a foot deep, so there
is no where
for them to hide from the birds.    ( This creek may just be a man-made dredged
channel, or at least that is what it is now. )

What I am getting at here, is this discharge does not appear to be hurting the
environment,
but I wouldn't want to go swimming in the Brazos River downstream of there.
You wouldn't swim there anyways, as the gators would swallow you whole in one
gulp.