From: Fofo [mailto:gonza...@msu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:30 PM
To: Texas Cavers
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Fw: EMERGENCY

I actually wonder if someone joins e-mail lists and gets a "feel" for
some people, finds their activity, etc (looking for someone who doesn't
post much). I got an e-mail from "Monica Ponce" saying that she's in the
UK, was mugged at gun-point and now needs £1,750.00 -- more expensive
than Mark's! And the e-mail was in Spanish (really bad Spanish,
actually, probably a Babelfish translation). Monica doesn't post much on
TexasCavers, but she does on Facebook, so there were no doubts about
this e-mail being a scam as soon as I read it:

"Espero que recibe en este tiempo? Lo sentimos, no me han informado
acerca de mi viaje en el Reino Unido para un programa, estoy actualmente
en Londres y estoy teniendo algunas dificultades aquí, porque me
asaltaron a punta de pistola ... ni siquiera pueden escribir en dialecto
nativo muy bien como todos los sistemas que aquí se ha configurado.
... The gerente del hotel no me deja salir hasta que pagar las cuentas
del hotel ... Me gustaría que me ayude con un préstamo de £ 1,750.00"

I felt like creating a dummy e-mail account and replying, reassuring of
my willingness to "help" but peppering the e-mail with personal
questions, just to see what happens and then posting the whole thing
here, but that would need more time than I have now.

      - Fofo