"Visions Underground: Carlsbad Caverns through the Artist's Eye." Lois Manno. Rio Grande Books, no place; 2009. ISBN 978-1-890689-95-7. 8 by 10 inches, 177 pages, softbound. $19.99. The majority of the art in this book is in fact photography, although I suppose some old hand-tinted postcard photos can be considered partly painted. I don't think any of the actual paintings of scenes in Carlsbad Cavern (called Carlsbad Caverns throughout) will ever be of any interest except in connection with the cave, but many of the photographs are nice. Some of the best were taken either outdoors or in other caves in the national park, especially Lechuguilla. Paintings and color photographs are of course printed in color. A tremendous plus is the first publication of a collection of black-and-white photographs taken by Ansel Adams, who is said to have found working in the cave very difficult. Given Adams's reputation for outdoor photography, I wasn't surprised to find that my favorite among them here is a surface shot of a park building, but one photo of the Big Room is very nice. The author has arranged things pretty much chronologically, from the 1920s to today's cave photographers, and there is extensive explanatory text. I can't speak to the fidelity of the reproduction of the paintings, but most of the photographs are well reproduced, though there isn't a really solid black anywhere in the book. The major disappointment is the reproduction across a two-page spread of the famous 2400-flashbulb 1952 color photograph of the Big Room by Tex Helm. When I was paging through the book, I immediately recognized that it must have been made by scanning an old, very faded print. When I read the book, I was astonished to see the claim that the colors had been restored using Photoshop. No they weren't.--Bill Mixon
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org