texascavers Digest 20 Aug 2009 18:09:45 -0000 Issue 829

Topics (messages 11773 through 11780):

Re: Happy Bday Nico!
        11773 by: Nico Escamilla

Re: SUV or truck for sale?
        11774 by: Jim Kennedy

OT - walkie-talkies     11771 by: David
        11775 by: KFYI.aol.com
        11778 by: Butch Fralia
        11779 by: SS
        11780 by: Pete Lindsley

EPA Science To Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships
        11776 by: caverarch.aol.com

Job Posting
        11777 by: Jules Jenkins

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Charles....

Robert.. Wrong guy,   I wasnt at the posse last week with the gang, but
thanks anyway

Nico

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Robert Tait <tai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yo Niko -
>
> It was great to see you and the gang at the posse last week.
>
> Sorry I am not there to celebrate your latest orbit around the sun.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Rob (from upstate new your, but might move back to michag soon)
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Charles Goldsmith<wo...@justfamily.org>
> wrote:
> > Hopefully you will have a great day
> >
> > Charles

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Friends,

My truck (Yeti) was hit Friday night.  Everyone was OK, but the other
driver's car was obviously totaled.  This morning I just took Yeti to
the body shop for the insurance-company-approved estimate, and it came
in at well over $11,000.  So the likely scenario is that they will total
it out.  Therefore, I'm starting inquiries to see if anyone might have a
decent-sized 4WD vehicle for sale.  Ideally it should have high ground
clearance, and able to make it to Conrado Castillo, for instance.
Please contact me off list if you have something that I could consider.
My cell # is 512-663-2287.  Gracias, amigos.

-- Jim

Confidentiality Note: This email and any attachment to it are
confidential and protected by law and intended for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named on the email. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or distribution of this communication is prohibited. If
via return email and delete it completely from your email system. If you
have printed a copy of the email, please destroy it immediately. Thank
you

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"A few years ago, there was a post about walkie-talkies and how the  package
advertising was claiming 8 mile range and others claiming up to 16  mile
range.

Since then, the numbers have gradually increased.

Now,  similar radios are claiming 36 miles of range on their
product  advertising.

Yet the wattage doesn't appear to be different.

Has  anything changed ?

Here is an  example:

http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Radio.BS3/GXT1000VP4";

Yes, the promotional folks are very ambitious and have recently moved to
Texas.

At the bottom of the link above is the qualifications to their distance
claims:

*Maximum range can only be achieved over water or open rural areas under
optimum conditions. FCC license required. Features and specifications subject
to  change without notice."
The 400 MHZ frequency is generally line of sight.  With a tiny antenna  you
will not get these maximum ranges for the average communication  situation.
 Get on top of a high spot like a mountain, tall building or  better yet be
in outer space, then you will get good distance.
Paul Johnston

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have 4 of the Motorola radios and a license to boot.  They are usually
good for a couple of miles in the hill country.  I haven't really tried them
out on open ground though I'm sure someone on this list has.

It's possible the Midland radios have a greater range, they have a larger
antenna.  Depends on how well the length of the antenna is matched to the
frequency.  I'd sure question 36 miles however!

Butch Fralia

[...]

  _____

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
36 miles is easily reachable, of course on UHF and VHF this would have to be
a direct line of sight.

Most aviation UHF and VHF radios are only 10 watts..and have a line of sight
range of over a hundred sixty miles.  Good line of sight from 30,000 feet.

On the ground you might get a half mile to three depending on the terrain.
Unless you were on the side of a mountain talking to someone in the valley
or on another mountain.  In that case I could see 36 miles could be
possible.

  _____

[...]

--- Begin Message --- We just got a pair of Motorola Talkabout T9500XLR radios from Radio Shack. They work with NiMH rechargeable or alkaline batteries and includes a NOOA weather radio. They claim:
Mountain to valley of up to 25 miles
Lake (over water) of up to 10 miles
Urban up to 2 miles.
They have a "power boost" feature that increases the transmit power to the GMRS/FRS channels (Channels 1-7, 462.5625-462.7125 MHz) and the GMRS only channels (Channels 15-22, 462.5500-462.7250 MHz). But the Tx power for the FRS only channels (Channels 8-14, 467.5625-467.7125 MHz is only the "low power". (Note that adjacent channels are not adjacent frequencies.)

We recently tried a mountain-to-valley transmission (Sandias) that was not quite line-of-sight (some mountain was in the way) and the distance was about 4.6 miles. It barely worked. Perhaps a line of sight link would have been better. The problem is that when you are receiving on the mountain you are up high enough to receive everyone's transmission so choice of channel is important.

Do various cave projects have specific frequencies / channels that they use in the field?

 - Pete

On Aug 20, 2009, at 10:36 AM, SS wrote:

[...]

Another student funding opportunity passed on by Sarah in Florida.

Title: Fall 2009 EPA Science To Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships For Graduate
Environmental Study

URL:?http://epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2009/2009_star_gradfellow.html

Open Date: 08/19/2009 - Close Date: 10/22/2009

Science to Achieve Results (STAR) program, is offering Graduate Fellowships
for master's and doctoral level students in environmental fields of study. The
deadline is October 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM for receipt of paper applications, and
October 22, 2009 at 11:59:59 PM ET for submittal of electronic applications to
Grants.gov. Subject to availability of funding, the Agency plans to award
approximately 120 new fellowships by June 30, 2010. Master's level students
may receive support for a maximum of two years. Doctoral students may be
supported for a maximum of three years, usable over a period of four years.
The fellowship program provides up to $37,000 per year of support per
fellowship.?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
fyi

The Aquifer Monitor:
News from the Groundwater Resources Division of the Texas Water
Development Board
Special Bulletin: August 2009

We're looking for Modelers!

The Groundwater Resources Division is looking to hire three groundwater
modelers to assist with running model simulations, interpreting model
results, writing reports, compiling information for use in the models,
reviewing technical documents, developing new models, and/or updating
existing models.. If you or someone you know may be interested in a
position that is at the forefront of groundwater policy and science in
Texas, please consider applying or forwarding the application to someone
needing a fun and challenging job. For more information on the
positions, please contact Ms. Cindy Ridgeway at (512) 936-2386 or at
cindy.ridge...@twdb.state.tx.us

The posting for the positions may be downloaded here:

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/ABOUT/employment_opportunities/documents/09-
80.pdf

X. Fine print

The purpose of these periodic emails is to notify groundwater
stakeholders in Texas about TWDB products, services, and funding
opportunities related to groundwater. If you do not wish to receive
these emails, please notify Brenner Brown or if you know of others who
want to be on this email list, please have them send their contact
information to Brenner Brown at brenner.br...@twdb.state.tx.us

Cindy Ridgeway, P.G., Manager
TEXAS WATER DEVELOPMENT BOARD
Groundwater Availability Modeling (GAM) Section
Groundwater Resources Division
1700 North Congress Ave, Room 433
Austin, Texas 78711
(512) 936-2386
cindy.ridge...@twdb.state.tx.us

Texas Water Development Board - Groundwater Resources Division:
http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/groundwater/

--- End Message ---