texascavers Digest 26 Aug 2009 12:47:09 -0000 Issue 835

Topics (messages 11855 through 11865):

Re: 2009 Texas Cavers Reunion
        11855 by: Charles Goldsmith
        11856 by: Bill Bentley
        11857 by: Bill Bentley
        11858 by: Charles Goldsmith
        11863 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com
        11864 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: Bear Grylls goes caving (with a torch made of a strip of t-shirt soaked in
wild boar fat)
        11859 by: David
        11862 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Re: Climbing Cave Entrances
        11860 by: SS
        11861 by: Gary McDaniel

2010 TCR
        11865 by: Linda Palit

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
:P

Dallas does have its good points...

From: Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com>
To: "TexasCavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
         From: Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com>
         To: "TexasCavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
can wait 'til we get home to clean off? Would save a bunch  of hassle/TCR
expense...   Stefan     From: Rod Goke  [mailto:rod.g...@earthlink.net]
         Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:36 PM
         To: TexasCavers

           If I  remember correctly, there was running water available in the
restrooms, and  there was a hose from that building to the cooking area,
supplying water for  dishwashing, hosing off, etc. If that's still available, I
don't see any need  for a water truck. Is there any reason to think that that
water supply will  not be available at TCR this year?
          Rod

         Speaking of Tlaloc... Here's a short story that I like very much, from
Paco  Ignacio Taibo II, called "Tlaloc":

         http://tinyurl.com/l3tybz

         It's in Spanish. I couldn't find a translated version, but here's a
Google  translation:

         http:/tinyurl.com/lv3xbh

         Some things sound funny, but I guess that you can follow most of the
story in  English (it translated the name of a town, Los Tecomates, as "the
gourds," and it definitely can't handle swear words and slang, but it's
amusing to read "neither mothers" for "ni madres").

           - Fofo

         Allan Cobb wrote, on 24/8/09 8:12:
         > Oztotl says there will be at least some water. Oztotl has spoken
with  > Tlaloc and they are trying to work out a deal.

It looks like portions of Bear Grylls' videos in caves are available
for free viewing on-line.

Here are 5 of them:

     http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-mexico-cave.html

     http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-cave-claustrophobia.html

     http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-cave-escape.html

     http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-freezing-cave-swim.html

     http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-ice-cave-squeeze.html

Disclaimer:   I only watched the 1st video clip

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I bet there are clips of Andrew Zimmer chowing down on bugs, too.

Aug 26, 2009 12:08:57 AM, dlocklea...@gmail.com wrote:
It looks like portions of Bear Grylls' videos in caves are available
for free viewing on-line.

Here are 5 of them:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-mexico-cave.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-cave-claustrophobia.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-cave-escape.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-freezing-cave-swim.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/man-vs-wild-ice-cave-squeeze.html

Disclaimer: I only watched the 1st video clip

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ahh..but at the end of the day.aren't all those unsightly marks just an
eyesore for us humans occupying this mere blink the geologic eye..    At the
end of the day there really is nothing we can do to harm a cave since it is
not the same place today that it was ten thousand years ago and it will not
be the same place in ten thousand years from now as it is today.  In fact,
we may not even be around in ten thousand years.  So technically..all this
really boils down to present day human perception of what "Impact" is on a
cave.

I'm sure no indigenous person ever trashed a cave or wrote graffiti on the
walls or left their garbage lying around..  Oh wait.they did.  But since it
was over a hundred years ago its considered "Historical"...  So wait a
hundred years and those holes and chalk marks will be historical not
unsightly!  Amazing how time cures all!

Father Time

  _____