----- Original Message -----
From: "Renee Skwara" <renee.skw...@gmail.com>
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:33:20 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: [Texascavers] China contacts for a caving trip in late October?

I am going to China in late October this year and have heard that there are
some amazing caves over there!!  If anyone knows of someone who lives in China,
in the caving community, that would know of any possibilites or have
information about visiting some caves while I am there; I am really interested
in getting in contact with them.  If you could send me their contact
information or any information.  I would greatly appreciate it!

Please contact me off the list at:
renee.skw...@gmail.com
cell: 830-377-1814

Thanks!!

Renee Skwara
Bexar Grotto Member

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Renee:

I have been traveling to the caves of China since 1993 and have been involved
with caving expeditions there.

Wandering into caves on your own in China is not at all like doing so here in
the US of A.   It is very likely to attract the attention of the local
authorities. Depending on where you are and the mood of the local officials
that could be a very non-trivial event.   China is essentially a police state
and the locals tend to be suspicious of Foreign Devils trecking around in their
countryside, especially if strangely bedecked with hard-hats and weird-looking
caving gear.   Obtaining permission (officially required) and directions is
difficult or impossible without speaking passable Mandarin.

Expedition caving in China has typically been difficult and expensive for
foreigners, and usually mired in convoluted bureaucracy.   That said, there is
an English-speaking group of cavers living in China who are more-or-less based
in Wulong, SE of Chongqing.   They are the Hong Meigui (Red Rose) Cave
Exploration Society and are organized by an American, Erin Lynch.   She is also
the director of the Tongzi Center for Karst and Cave Exploration.   You can see
what they are up to (some truly world-class caving!!) and contact them at
http://www.hongmeigui.net/

Many Chinese caves are not for the timid:   ½ kilometer-deep open surface pits,
1,000-meter deep caves, and humongous river passages that flood tens of meters
during the wet season.   Much of this is in remote rural areas where many of
the natives don’t even speak Mandarin.   Erin was at the ICS and is
occasionally in Bowling Green, Kty, where she is completing her schooling under
Chris Groves at the Hoffman Environmental Research Institute.

My wife and I organize and lead commercial tourist trips to the Chinese Karst.
 Due to the problems of foreigners conducting wild cave visits, these are NOT
caving trips as such.   We do get into a lot of caves and see a lot of fabulous
countryside.   These are not caver-camping trips where we sleep with the pigs
and cook our own food from the local markets, but rather are tourist trips
where we stay in comfortable hotels and dine well in local restaurants.   They
are like extended NSS convention geology field trips with the addition of a lot
of cultural experiences.   If you have an interest, you can check us out at
http://www.focusedtours.com/

We will be in far western China in September and October, but not in the karst.
  Our next karst trip to China will be October 2010 – folks are signing up for
that now, as the trip is limited in size.

Dwight Deal

Aka:   DirtDoc

dirt...@comcast.net