texascavers Digest 30 Jul 2009 15:50:00 -0000 Issue 810

Topics (messages 11515 through 11528):

Congratulations to Mary Kay Manning
        11515 by: David

New sinkhole collapse in west Texas :
        11516 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com
        11517 by: Bill Bentley

Photos & Articles from the ICS and Points Beyond - The TC Needs YOUR
Submissions!
        11518 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: ICS Attendance
        11519 by: Jon Cradit
        11521 by: Pete Lindsley
        11526 by: David
        11527 by: Heather Tucek

Re: bandit cave
        11520 by: William H. Russell
        11524 by: Aimee Beveridge
        11528 by: Andy Zenker

Re: Valdina Farms Sinkhole
        11522 by: Geary Schindel

ICS Amazing Backpack Stories
        11523 by: Frank Binney
        11525 by: Charles Goldsmith

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Many of you know Mary Kay from watching her climb rope
at TCR back in the 80's and 90's.

She spent the past 22 years dedicated to helping visitors
at Panther Junction in Big Bend.

I believe she is now in the Big Thicket, which is why she
couldn't make it to ICS.

I think she is on CaveTex, so I will let her tell the rest of the
story.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Giant Sinkhole Collapses Near  Denver City

Eddie Garcia
CBS 7 News
July 28,  2009

Denver City, Texas - A giant geographical phenomenon has opened up  just
two miles northeast of Denver City.

The enormous sink hole opened up just last night and is on Occidental
Permian Inc. property. Company officials would not allow us near the site but
did provide us with aerial photos. It is a sinkhole 70 yards long almost 70
yards wide and about 50 feet deep. Permian Occidental says all the wells in
the  area have been shut-in as a precaution. So far no injuries are being
reported or  any impacts outside the immediate vicinity of the hole. Local and
state  authorities have been notified and are now working with Occidental
crews. Right  now an independent fire and safety company is on location and
the entire area is  secured.
_http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=14003_
(http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=14003)

Video of the sink at:
_http://permianbasin360.com/content/fulltext/?cid=47132_
(http://permianbasin360.com/content/fulltext/?cid=47132)
(javascript:loadVideo(369411))

State probing new area sinkhole

By Joshua Hull | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Story last updated at  7/30/2009 - 1:31 am
State officials are investigating what caused a large sinkhole to suddenly
appear earlier this week in an oil field near Denver City.
The sinkhole, measured at 76 feet by 70 feet and 48 feet deep, was
discovered  by a worker late Monday on oil and gas land owned by Occidental
Permian
Limited,  said Stacie Fowler with the Texas Railroad Commission.
No one was injured when the ground collapsed, and one  well of 1,750 at the
field was damaged by the collapse, Fowler said. Some wells  in the vicinity
have been temporarily shut down.
"We make sure more damage doesn't happen as best we can," she said, adding
no  cause has yet been determined.
Sinkholes are a more common occurrence in East Texas and can be caused by
several different factors, said Mike Turco, chief of the Gulf Coast Office
for  the U.S. Geological Survey.
Oil and gas operations are known to cause sinkholes, Turco said, which
might  explain the unusual location of the collapse less than a mile east of
Denver  City.
"During normal times, there is a fluid or a substance holding up whatever
is  above," he said. "If that is extracted the pressure is reduced and there
can be  a surface feature after a collapse."
Much larger sinkholes appeared in the early 1980s near Wink - about 100
miles  southwest of Denver City - also near oil and gas operations.
Sinkholes have to be treated with care, Turco said, as each case is
different  from the next. While all features share some similarities, there's
no
way to  tell whether the collapse will expand without further examination.
"It depends on what the rocks are underneath the sinkhole and what caused
the  sinkhole," he said. "Typically, once they express themselves after their
initial  expansion they don't get much larger."
_http://lubbockonline.com/stories/073009/loc_472749121.shtml_
(http://lubbockonline.com/stories/073009/loc_472749121.shtml)    Lubbock
Avalanche-Journal
Giant Denver City sinkhole collapses

DENVER CITY, TX (KCBD) - A giant sinkhole has been discovered just outside
of  Denver City, Texas.
According to Occidental Permian Ltd., at approximately 11:00 p.m. on
Monday,  July 27th, the sinkhole was discovered 2 miles northeast of Denver
City,
on  Occidental property. An independent fire and safety company is on
location and  the area is secured. Wells in the area have been shut-in as a
precaution. The  sinkhole is approximately 70 yards long, 67 yards wide and 16
yards deep.  Occidental personnel reports that there are no injuries to
employees, and no  injuries or other impacts outside the immediate vicinity
around
the hole. Oxy  has notified the appropriate local and state authorities, and
will continue to  cooperate fully with them. NewsChannel 11 will be
following this story and will  bring you any updates as they become available.
_http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=10810491_
(http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=10810491)

**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
School
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This story has has been covered by all 3 of the local network news. I find it
most interesting  when they say Experts don't know why this happens and in the
finishing sentence of the news story they comment on how it is near an
injection well.

Bill

  Thursday, July 30, 2009
[...]

All,

As of 7/30, 7:30 AM, I only have one photo (a rather sexy one from Bill Steele)
from the ICS for The TEXAS CAVER!

Other than that, I have ZERO photos, ZERO trip reports, ZERO articles and other
miscellanea submitted for publication in the next issue.

Looks like a VERY thin next issue of the TC.

Hey, at least we'll save some dinero for the TSA!

C'mon, people, I'll give you a few more days to recuperate from the ICS, but,
it's time to get busy!

Send something/anything to texascav...@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

(A desperate) Mark

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well, you see, that depends on how you count.
There were around 1570 folks that registered.
That includes week long registrants as well as day-pass folks and those that
registered and could not attend due to problems like obtaining entrance visas.
The numbers kept changing up to the last day when Karen closed registration and
books were packed up to be transported to Virginia.
A final tally is still being calculated for each category.  We might know the
final number in a week or so, when Karen gets home and reopens the books.

Jon

From: William H. Russell <whruss...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] bandit cave
To: "freddie poer" <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 8:12 AM

Freddie,
    The current owner is very protective of Bandit cave and it not using it as
a dump.  He is somewhat (in my view) overprotective and has not even let
biologists into his cave to study the biology, but he is protecting the cave.
For several years prior to the current owner acquiring the cave the cave was
used for neighborhood parties, especially on Halloween, and when the new owner
took over he was under pressure to continue this tradition.  He resisted, and
this experience is probably is what lead to the current very restrictive access
policy.  The cave is still there, but checking it out would be difficult as the
cave has a stout steel door, and we need use caver requests for access
carefully, at first they should be for worthwhile studies; and then we can
build a relation with the landowner.  There are digging leads in the cave, but
they were pushed in the past to where the diggers gave up.
Bill Russell

> Geoff and Aimee's post about the showing of the Austin Cavers movie at their
> house reminded me of a cave that I haven't heard anything about in thirty
> years. Bandit cave is an ex-commercial cave in Rollingwood that was in a
> vacant lot only three blocks from Geoff and Aimee's house. The last time I
> checked, it appeared the lot was still vacant and being used as a
> neighborhood yard waste dump. This cave had two entrances, one of which was a
> large steel door that was the commercial entrance. It was wired for lighting
> which was non-functioning as of my last visit in 1978. It had standing room
> in it and several crawling leads. An ex-mayor of Austin claims that the cave
> had a crawlway that exited at lake Austin in the cliffs above Redbud isle.
> Has anyone done anything recently with it? Any conservation efforts, or
> landowner contact?

-- William Hart Russell
4806 Red River Street
Austin, TX  78751
H: 512-453-4774 (messages)
CELL:  512-940-8336

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Just invite them to the next caver party at Aimee and Geoff's.

Andy Zenker
Texas Caver

The owner has put in a new fence along the property and I believe there are no
trespassing signs.

    The current owner is very protective of Bandit cave and it not using it as
a dump.  He is somewhat (in my view) overprotective and has not even let
biologists into his cave to study the biology, but he is protecting the cave.
For several years prior to the current owner acquiring the cave the cave was
used for neighborhood parties, especially on Halloween, and when the new owner
took over he was under pressure to continue this tradition.  He resisted, and
this experience is probably is what lead to the current very restrictive access
policy.  The cave is still there, but checking it out would be difficult as the
cave has a stout steel door, and we need use caver requests for access
carefully, at first they should be for worthwhile studies; and then we can
build a relation with the landowner.  There are digging leads in the cave, but
they were pushed in the past to where the
 diggers gave up.
Bill Russell

> Geoff and Aimee's post about the showing of the Austin Cavers movie at their
> house reminded me of a cave that I haven't heard anything about in thirty
> years. Bandit cave is an ex-commercial cave in Rollingwood that was in a
> vacant lot only three blocks from Geoff and Aimee's house. The last time I
> checked, it appeared the lot was still vacant and being used as a
> neighborhood yard waste dump. This cave had two entrances, one of which was a
> large steel door that was the commercial entrance. It was wired for lighting
> which was non-functioning as of my last visit in 1978. It had standing room
> in it and several crawling leads. An ex-mayor of Austin claims that the cave
> had a crawlway that exited at lake Austin in the cliffs above Redbud isle.
> Has anyone done anything recently with it? Any conservation efforts, or
> landowner contact?

-- William Hart Russell
4806 Red River
 Street
Austin, TX  78751
H: 512-453-4774 (messages)
CELL:  512-940-8336

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Valdina Farm Sinkhole.

There were two trips to the cave, one on Wednesday, July 22 and the other on
Saturday, July 25.  The trip on Wednesday included a number of foreign cavers
and was lead by Josh Rubinstein with the Edwards Aquifer Authority and Graham
Schindel and Paul Bryant who were volunteers.  Josh worked with Brian Pease on
the surface where they performed three cave radio locations.  Graham and Paul
coordinated activities in the pit while Scott Wahlquist (a volunteer from
Virginia) operated the cave radio inside the cave.  Cave radio locations were
obtained from three sites, one at the upstream side of the downstream sump and
one on the downstream side of the sump.  A third location was made on the
upstream portion of the cave.  The cave radio locations were made in support of
remapping of the cave and potential monitoring well locations. The drought has
opened up the downstream sump which was only accessible by cave diving.  The
word is that foreign cavers really showed the American's how to use the Frog
System.

On the Saturday trip, we surveyed the radio locations to recoverable points in
the cave and also installed some dye receptors in support of an upcoming tracer
test in the cave.  There were a number of TAG cavers on the trip along with
some Poles.  The Saturday trip was lead by myself and Graham Schindel.  Later
this fall, we may initiate a remapping project along with a LIDAR study in the
cave to determine changes to the cave sediments related to the aquifer recharge
structure feeding the cave.

Please note that Valdina Farm Sinkhole is only open by special permission.  The
Edwards Aquifer Authority holds an easement on the cave.  Please do not contact
the owner for permission to enter the cave as they have requested that they not
be bothered.  In addition, this cave is very dangerous and requires a very
careful eye on the weather as it will flood to the top of the 150 foot deep
sinkhole in a matter of minutes after large storms in the drainage basin.

I also wanted to thank David for his posts on the ICS and his insistent
volunteering for the entire week.  I don't think there is anything that he
didn't help with at some time.  He exhibited real Texas hospitability by
welcoming many of the foreign cavers that were camped around him.  I think the
Ukrainian cavers really appreciated his help.

Geary Schindel