Freddie,
The current owner is very protective of Bandit cave and it not using it as a dump. He is somewhat (in my view) overprotective and has not even let biologists into his cave to study the biology, but he is protecting the cave. For several years prior to the current owner acquiring the cave the cave was used for neighborhood parties, especially on Halloween, and when the new owner took over he was under pressure to continue this tradition. He resisted, and this experience is probably is what lead to the current very restrictive access policy. The cave is still there, but checking it out would be difficult as the cave has a stout steel door, and we need use caver requests for access carefully, at first they should be for worthwhile studies; and then we can build a relation with the landowner. There are digging leads in the cave, but they were pushed in the past to where the diggers gave up.
Bill Russell

Geoff and Aimee's post about the showing of the Austin Cavers movie at their house reminded me of a cave that I haven't heard anything about in thirty years. Bandit cave is an ex-commercial cave in Rollingwood that was in a vacant lot only three blocks from Geoff and Aimee's house. The last time I checked, it appeared the lot was still vacant and being used as a neighborhood yard waste dump. This cave had two entrances, one of which was a large steel door that was the commercial entrance. It was wired for lighting which was non-functioning as of my last visit in 1978. It had standing room in it and several crawling leads. An ex-mayor of Austin claims that the cave had a crawlway that exited at lake Austin in the cliffs above Redbud isle. Has anyone done anything recently with it? Any conservation efforts, or landowner contact?

--
William Hart Russell
4806 Red River Street