texascavers Digest 30 Jul 2009 20:52:17 -0000 Issue 812

Topics (messages 11542 through 11549):

Re: ICS Amazing Backpack Stories
        11542 by: Fritz Holt
        11544 by: Nico Escamilla
        11545 by: Andy Zenker

Re: Volunteering
        11543 by: mrnadler.mail.utexas.edu

Bandit Cave
        11546 by: Carl Kunath
        11547 by: Heather Tucek

Re: Valdina Farms Sinkhole
        11548 by: Mark Minton

Re: New sinkhole collapse in west Texas :
        11549 by: Don Cooper

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
It is a good thing if they are good rocks. Personally, I never met a rock that
I didn't like, except maybe the one that broke my windshield. I have a rock
fetish.
Fritz

________________________________
From: John P Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
From: Fritz Holt
<fh...@townandcountryins.com<mailto:fh...@townandcountryins.com>>
To: "Charles Goldsmith" <wo...@justfamily.org<mailto:wo...@justfamily.org>>,
"Frank Binney" <fr...@frankbinney.com<mailto:fr...@frankbinney.com>>
Cc: "Texas Cavers"
<texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:20 PM

Bill Steele has told similar stories and is famous for this. You were just one
of the "fortunate" recipients.
Fritz

From: germa...@aol.com <germa...@aol.com>
To: jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net, wo...@justfamily.org, fr...@frankbinney.com,
fh...@townandcountryins.com
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:44 PM

From: Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>

To: "Charles Goldsmith" <wo...@justfamily.org>, "Frank Binney"
<fr...@frankbinney.com>

Cc: "Texas Cavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>

Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:20 PM

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Frank Binney<fr...@frankbinney.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Groad Hollow. As I schlepped the pack across campus to my apartment, I

> remember thinking how smart I was to be mailing those books home--they

> weighed a ton and never would have passed airline weight limits.

> The never morning I struggled to get the heavy pack on my back and

> made the long walk the length of the campus from the Pecan Grove

> apartments to the registration building coffee shop. The mail center

> wasn't
 open so I carried the pack around most of the day,

> criss-crossing the campus numerous times for various sessions.

> Finally I made it to the mail center with the backpack, where upon

> transferring the contents into Priority Mail cartons I discovered a

> quite large, beautifully stream-sculpted, authentic Texas karst rock

> in the bottom of the pack. What a thoughtful gift--Thanks, Bill!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Some who weren't seen volunteering on campus put in pre-convention volunteer hours as proofreaders, etc.

Rae

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Click here:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/carl-kunath/Bandit_Cave_(Reddell)_July_1968.jpg

to see a photo of James Reddell at the entrance of Bandit Cave in July 1968.

===Carl Kunath

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It looks like an old ammo bunker!

--
Go find out!
-Heather Tuček

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Geary,

>The drought has opened up the downstream sump which was only accessible
by cave diving.

Has Valdina Farms Sinkhole been explored very far beyond the (ex)sump? I
see a map in the 1994 NSS Convention Guidebook, Caves and Karst of
Texas, that says it had not been surveyed, and it didn't say whether the
second downstream sump had been dived or not. There is also an upstream
sump. Seems like a good time to push the cave, while water is so low.

Mark Minton.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That's kindof like saying "we don't know what caused this grassfire -
incidentally, there's a kid over there playing with matches".

-WaV

--- End Message ---