Valdina Farm Sinkhole.

There were two trips to the cave, one on Wednesday, July 22 and the other on
Saturday, July 25.  The trip on Wednesday included a number of foreign cavers
and was lead by Josh Rubinstein with the Edwards Aquifer Authority and Graham
Schindel and Paul Bryant who were volunteers.  Josh worked with Brian Pease on
the surface where they performed three cave radio locations.  Graham and Paul
coordinated activities in the pit while Scott Wahlquist (a volunteer from
Virginia) operated the cave radio inside the cave.  Cave radio locations were
obtained from three sites, one at the upstream side of the downstream sump and
one on the downstream side of the sump.  A third location was made on the
upstream portion of the cave.  The cave radio locations were made in support of
remapping of the cave and potential monitoring well locations. The drought has
opened up the downstream sump which was only accessible by cave diving.  The
word is that foreign cavers really showed the American's how to use the Frog
System.

On the Saturday trip, we surveyed the radio locations to recoverable points in
the cave and also installed some dye receptors in support of an upcoming tracer
test in the cave.  There were a number of TAG cavers on the trip along with
some Poles.  The Saturday trip was lead by myself and Graham Schindel.  Later
this fall, we may initiate a remapping project along with a LIDAR study in the
cave to determine changes to the cave sediments related to the aquifer recharge
structure feeding the cave.

Please note that Valdina Farm Sinkhole is only open by special permission.  The
Edwards Aquifer Authority holds an easement on the cave.  Please do not contact
the owner for permission to enter the cave as they have requested that they not
be bothered.  In addition, this cave is very dangerous and requires a very
careful eye on the weather as it will flood to the top of the 150 foot deep
sinkhole in a matter of minutes after large storms in the drainage basin.

I also wanted to thank David for his posts on the ICS and his insistent
volunteering for the entire week.  I don't think there is anything that he
didn't help with at some time.  He exhibited real Texas hospitability by
welcoming many of the foreign cavers that were camped around him.  I think the
Ukrainian cavers really appreciated his help.

Geary Schindel