texascavers Digest 31 Jul 2009 11:26:52 -0000 Issue 813

Topics (messages 11550 through 11558):

Giant Caves and Nico
        11550 by: Preston Forsythe
        11553 by: Herman Miller

Re: Valdina Farms Sinkhole
        11551 by: Geary Schindel

Mary Kay Manning
        11552 by: Fritz Holt

Re: ICS Amazing Backpack Stories
        11554 by: mark gee
        11555 by: speleosteele.tx.rr.com
        11556 by: Charles Goldsmith
        11557 by: Herman Miller

Re: Steele's new Huautla and a question
        11558 by: mark gee

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
We had a great time at the ICS. It was fun seeing so many old (?) friends. The
Giant Caves of Mexico trip was a great way to get it started. Amy and Pete
really put a lot of effort into preparing for it and it paid off. One thing
that would have made it better would have been if Nico Escamilla could have
joined everybody in Kerrville. I really enjoyed getting to know him and I think
he would have had a good time there. I guess we'll have to plan another trip to
Mexico and see you there, Nico. Not going to drive our truck to Minas Viejas
(sp?) again though!
Preston is at Mammoth Cave for the post Congress trip there. The ICS
continues...
Shari

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Yeah Nico should have definitely been in Kerrville, guess he'll just have to
make the TCR.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Preston Forsythe <pns_...@bellsouth.net>wrote:

>  We had a great time at the ICS. It was fun seeing so many old (?)
> friends. The Giant Caves of Mexico trip was a great way to get it started.
> Amy and Pete really put a lot of effort into preparing for it and it paid
> off. One thing that would have made it better would have been if Nico
> Escamilla could have joined everybody in Kerrville. I really enjoyed getting
> to know him and I think he would have had a good time there. I guess we'll
> have to plan another trip to Mexico and see you there, Nico. Not going to
> drive our truck to Minas Viejas (sp?) again though!
> Preston is at Mammoth Cave for the post Congress trip there. The ICS
> continues...
> Shari

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mark and others,

The downstream sump was dived about 20 years ago and it went to some additional
passage with bad air to a second deeper sump of approximately 20 feet.  The
passage was about 800 feet long to the second sump which was not entered by
either the divers or the recent explorers.  The first sump in the cave is now
open and we can get to what appears to be the second sump that stopped the
divers last time.  This is where we put in the downstream radio location.
Landowner access is a problem as the cave is on private property and is being
actively managed as a exotic game ranch.

Today, it looks like we're getting some heavy rain over the cave and the stream
gauges are responding.

Weather is always an issue.  Watching a 150 foot deep pit sump out to the top
of the sinkhole is always a humbling experience.

Also, congratulations on the Lew Bicking Award.  It is much deserved.

Geary

From: "germa...@aol.com" <germa...@aol.com>
From: John P Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
From: "germa...@aol.com" <germa...@aol.com>
He's not the only one who does this!  I've been a victim as well, but since I
collect rocks, it really wasn't a bad thing!

julia

LOL......Lesson learned once again....NEVER LEAVE your back pack ALONE with
Bill Steele for even a NANO-SECOND....or you WILL end up with a rock in your
pack.

Thats like one of the "TEN COMMANDMENTS of CAVING".... Thou shalt not trusteth
thine pack to the Man O Steele...

>Bill Steele has told similar stories and is famous for this. You were just one
>of the "fortunate" recipients.
>Fritz

I dunno if he found it or not, he didn't say anything.

I'm making a mental note, never to leave any bags unattended around Mr. Steele.

Charles

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM, <speleoste...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'll do it. I rocked James Brown last night at the grotto meeting. I even
> told him I was going to. I placed two decoy rocks and a well hidden rock in a
> pack he had left at our house. He probably found the decoys and didn't look
> hard enough to find the third one. Tee hee.
>
> Bill
>

> ---- mark gee <markageetxca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I to have been Stoned by Steele. I wander who holds the record for , most
>> people they have rocked. A story needs to be writen for the Caver. Bill ,
>> why dont you tell us of your rocky memories. Puns Excepted
>

> ________________________________
> From: "germa...@aol.com" <germa...@aol.com>

Kinda glad my cave pack is big enough for a sandwich and not much else.

Could it be Marvin Miller

________________________________
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:28:32 -0500
From: her...@cavechat.org
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Steele's new Huautla

Bill really has and still is a great asset to the world of caving... though my
view may be a bit bias as I am reading Huatla in the middle of a thunderstorm
at 2:00 in the morning.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

Did anyone mention that Bill volunteered to write this book, and
>doesn't make a penny
>off of his hard work?     Now that is dedication !
>
>He not only volunteered to take cavers to Honeycreek, and to lead the
>Howdy Party.
>
>Did I leave out anything ?
>
>Imagine the ICS without all of that.

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.

--- End Message ---