texascavers Digest 30 Jul 2009 17:57:55 -0000 Issue 811

Topics (messages 11529 through 11541):

Re: bandit cave
        11529 by: germanyj.aol.com
        11532 by: Heather Tucek
        11535 by: Fritz Holt

Re: ICS Amazing Backpack Stories
        11530 by: Frank Binney
        11531 by: vivbone.att.net
        11536 by: Fritz Holt
        11538 by: John P Brooks
        11540 by: germanyj.aol.com

ICS photos: Frank's public link
        11533 by: Frank Binney
        11537 by: Nancy Weaver

Re: ICS Attendance
        11534 by: Katherine Arens

Re: Photos & Articles from the ICS and Points Beyond - The TC Needs YOUR
Submissions!
        11539 by: Fritz Holt

TSA Officer Nominations Chair
        11541 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
 And show them the Texas Cavers movie ;-)

From: Aimee Beveridge
 <aim...@yahoo.com>
To: "freddie poer" <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>, "William H. Russell"
<whruss...@gmail.com>
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 10:31 AM

?

The owner has put in a?new fence along the property and I believe there are no
trespassing signs.?

From: William H. Russell <whruss...@gmail.com>
To: "freddie poer" <freddiepoe...@yahoo.com>
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 8:12 AM

Freddie,
??? The current owner is very protective of Bandit cave and it not using it as
a dump.? He is somewhat (in my view) overprotective and has not even let
biologists into his cave to study the biology, but he is protecting the cave.?
For several years prior to the current owner acquiring the cave the cave was
used for neighborhood parties, especially on Halloween, and when the new owner
took over he was under pressure to continue this tradition.? He resisted, and
this experience is probably is what lead to the current very restrictive access
policy.? The cave is still there, but checking it out would be difficult as the
cave has a stout steel door, and we need use caver requests for access
carefully, at first they should be for worthwhile studies; and then we can
build a relation with the landowner.? There are digging leads in the cave, but
they were pushed in the past to where the
 diggers gave up.
Bill Russell

> Geoff and Aimee's post about the showing of the Austin Cavers movie at their
> house reminded me of a cave that I haven't heard anything about in thirty
> years. Bandit cave is an ex-commercial cave in Rollingwood that was in a
> vacant lot only three blocks from Geoff and Aimee's house. The last time I
> checked, it appeared the lot was still vacant and being used as a
> neighborhood yard waste dump. This cave had two entrances, one of which was a
> large steel door that was the commercial entrance. It was wired for lighting
> which was non-functioning as of my last visit in 1978. It had standing room
> in it and several crawling leads. An ex-mayor of Austin claims that the cave
> had a crawlway that exited at lake Austin in the cliffs above Redbud isle.
> Has anyone done anything recently with it? Any conservation efforts, or
> landowner contact?

-- William Hart Russell
4806 Red River
 Street
Austin, TX? 78751
H: 512-453-4774 (messages)
CELL:? 512-940-8336

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
And make sure they're drunk before you ask for cave access. :p

--
Go find out!
-Heather Tuček

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bill,
How close to the gated entrance is the second entrance and is it also gated? I
would think that the overprotective(smart)owner would welcome a select,
responsible few cavers to clean out the entrances should they need it. What
quadrant of which city is this cave located?
Fritz

--
William Hart Russell
4806 Red River Street

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I first met Bill Steele when we were young JV surveyors with CRF at Mammoth
Cave circa 1969--1970. He was from Indiana and I was from Missouri at the
time.
By the way, here's a link to some ICS photos I put  up on my Facebook page.
I don't think you have to be on Facebook to see them:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032400&id=1172443723#/album.php?aid=2
032400&id=1172443723&ref=mf
--Frank

On 7/30/09 8:33 AM, "Charles Goldsmith" <wo...@justfamily.org> wrote:

> And how long have you known Bill?  Caved with him?
>
> Really cool story about the Grand Canyon and your pack though.
>
> Charles

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
 Apparently you do have to be on facebook to view the photos :-(
  -------------- Original message from Frank Binney <fr...@frankbinney.com>:
--------------

> I first met Bill Steele when we were young JV surveyors with CRF at Mammoth
> Cave circa 1969--1970. He was from Indiana and I was from Missouri at the
> time.
> By the way, here's a link to some ICS photos I put  up on my Facebook page.
> I don't think you have to be on Facebook to see them:
> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032400&id=1172443723#/album.php?aid=2
> 032400&id=1172443723&ref=mf
> --Frank
>
> On 7/30/09 8:33 AM, "Charles Goldsmith"  wrote:
>
> > And how long have you known Bill?  Caved with him?
> >
> > Really cool story about the Grand Canyon and your pack though.
> >
> > Charles

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bill Steele has told similar stories and is famous for this. You were just one
of the "fortunate" recipients.
Fritz

From: Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Re: ICS Amazing Backpack Stories
To: "Charles Goldsmith" <wo...@justfamily.org>, "Frank Binney"
<fr...@frankbinney.com>
Cc: "Texas Cavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:20 PM

> [...]

> Later that night he was kind enough to hand deliver the pack to me in
> Groad Hollow. As I schlepped the pack across campus to my apartment, I
> remember thinking how smart I was to be mailing those books home--they
> weighed a ton and never would have passed airline weight limits.
> The never morning I struggled to get the heavy pack on my back and
> made the long walk the length of the campus from the Pecan Grove
> apartments to the registration building coffee shop. The mail center
> wasn't open so I carried the pack around most of the day,
> criss-crossing the campus numerous times for various sessions.
> Finally I made it to the mail center with the backpack, where upon
> transferring the contents into Priority Mail cartons I discovered a
> quite large, beautifully stream-sculpted, authentic Texas karst rock
> in the bottom of the pack. What a thoughtful gift--Thanks, Bill!

 He's not the only one who does this!? I've been a victim as well, but since I
collect rocks, it really wasn't a bad thing!

julia

From: Fritz Holt <fh...@townandcountryins.com>
To: "Charles Goldsmith" <wo...@justfamily.org>, "Frank Binney"
<fr...@frankbinney.com>
Cc: "Texas Cavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 12:20 PM

> [...]

> Groad Hollow. As I schlepped the pack across campus to my apartment, I
> remember thinking how smart I was to be mailing those books home--they
> weighed a ton and never would have passed airline weight limits.
> The never morning I struggled to get the heavy pack on my back and
> made the long walk the length of the campus from the Pecan Grove
> apartments to the registration building coffee shop. The mail center
> wasn't
 open so I carried the pack around most of the day,
> criss-crossing the campus numerous times for various sessions.
> Finally I made it to the mail center with the backpack, where upon
> transferring the contents into Priority Mail cartons I discovered a
> quite large, beautifully stream-sculpted, authentic Texas karst rock
> in the bottom of the pack. What a thoughtful gift--Thanks, Bill!

If you¹re not on Facebook, try this link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032400&id=1172443723&l=05a4412d22

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

If you're not on Facebook, try this link:

<http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032400&id=1172443723&l=05a4412d22>http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032400&id=1172443723&l=05a4412d22

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A second on keeping the website around.
the UIS will be able to use a lot of it for the future -- esp. the translations of policy documents on competitions, for exam, and i heard rumor that a lot of the material there was written down for the first time.
don't let the URL expire -- it can be settled on some other server, if need be.
-katie
At 7:49 AM -0600 7/30/09, Pete Lindsley wrote:
Bill, the last count (unofficial) was 1565, more than 300 additional cavers beyond those registered at the start of the congress. Last Sunday it was undecided if the new names would be added to the ICS web site, which should stay up for at least a couple of months. Perhaps when Karen Kastning makes it back home in a few days a more official count can be announced.

Personally, I think the ICS web site was a great piece of work and that Texas cavers should push to keep it on line and update it to reflect the success of the 2nd Congress to be held in the USA. I would like to see pictures added that illustrate as many activities as possible so that the few that were unable to make it at the last minute can enjoy what the rest of us experienced.

 - Pete

On Jul 29, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Bill Stephens wrote:

Does anyone know the final attendance numbers and number of nations represented at the ICS?

Bill

--
************************
Katherine Arens  (Professor)    Office:Burdine 320;  Phone: (512) 232-6363
Dept. of Germanic Studies       Dept. Phone:  (512) 471-4123
1 University Station C3300      FAX (512) 471-4025
University of Texas at Austin   Dept. office: Burdine 336
Austin, TX  78712-0304          k.ar...@mail.utexas.edu
President: Modern Austrian Literature and Culture Association; Editor: Teaching Austria
                   -.                           .-
               _..-'(                          )`-.._
             ./'. '||\\.        (\_/)       .//||` .`\.
          ./'.|'.'||||\\|..    )O O(    ..|//||||`.`|.`\.
         ./'..|'.|| |||||\`````` '`"'`  ''''''/||||| ||.`|..`\.
       ./'.||'.|||| ||||||||||||.     .|||||||||||| ||||.`||.`\.
      /'|||'.|||||| ||||||||||||{     }|||||||||||| ||||||.`|||`\
     '.|||'.||||||| ||||||||||||{     }|||||||||||| |||||||.`|||.`
    V   V      V          }' `\ /' `{          V        V   V

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Mark,
What is the deadline?