texascavers Digest 4 Aug 2009 16:22:52 -0000 Issue 819

Topics (messages 11622 through 11636):

Re: ICS follow-up
        11622 by: Herman Miller
        11623 by: David
        11633 by: Don Cooper

ICS Flu
        11624 by: Terri Sprouse

ICS related
        11625 by: David
        11627 by: David
        11632 by: Preston Forsythe

ICS in the news
        11626 by: David
        11631 by: Mark Minton

TSS reprints of Volumes II and III now available on CD :
        11628 by: JerryAtkin.aol.com
        11630 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

UT Grotto meeting ­ Aug 5, 2009
        11629 by: Gary Franklin

Re: WALK FOR A DAY TRAIL Karst Inventory VOLUNTEER OP
        11634 by: Denise P

ICS Box Project
        11635 by: Ernest Garza

Re: Texas sales at ICS
        11636 by: ellie :)

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
If its any consolation I developed an infection in one of my fingers at the
convention that was lanced three days ago, all looks better now though I
have lingering stiffness in the joint from it being swollen in place for a
good lil while.

Herman Miller

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Linda Palit <lkpa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  There seem to be two things going around – one is a flu  or flu like–
> would not be too surprised if it is swine flu.  Miserable, but hopefully
> better now than in the winter – who knows.  Take care of yourselves if you
> have that.
>

> The other is some kind of virus/cold thing – much less severe – minor
> fever, congestion, and cough after other symptoms subside.
>

> Several people were ill at ICS near the beginning of the convention but it
> seemed pretty minor.  I don’t really know the details or whatever – that is
> just personal observation.
>

> And Gil has an ingrown toenail – maybe two.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I had 2 tiny scrapes on my skin that became infected after swimming in
the Guadalupe River.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I understand that Justin Shaw got a badly infected insect bite requiring
medical attention.
Staying away from those swim trips and remaining in close proximity to a
damn yankee through most of the convention - I remain, thankfully, healthy.
Same for almost all of my bunkmates, 'cept for Yazmine's runny nose (she
never really got sick).
.
-WaV

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:25 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had 2 tiny scrapes on my skin that became infected after swimming in
> the Guadalupe River.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Don't blame it on the sunshine,
Don't blame it on the moonlight,
Don't blame it on the good times,
Blame it on the boogie!

Just think of it as party favors!!!!!!!

Terri

> flu like– would not be too surprised if it is swine
> flu.  Miserable,
> but hopefully better now than in the winter – who
> knows.  Take care
> of yourselves if you have that.
>

> The other is some kind of
> virus/cold thing – much less
> severe – minor fever, congestion, and cough after
> other symptoms
> subside.
>

> Several people were ill at ICS
> near the beginning of the
> convention but it seemed pretty minor.  I don’t
> really know the
> details or whatever – that is just personal
> observation.
>

> And Gil has an ingrown toenail
> – maybe two.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here is a story on the web about ICS

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/07/speleologists-all-over-world-tour-and-study-national-park-caves

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
So far, the most informative review I have seen of ICS comes from flipping
thru Frank Binney's Facebook photos.

     http://www.facebook.com/frank.binney?hiq=frank,binney&ref=search

Frank apparently had a lot of fun re-visiting old caving friends.

I think someone needs to put out a web-page with a thorough recap
of ICS with a selection of Frank's photos, and Scott Fee's

     http://www.flickr.com/photos/caverscott/sets/72157621652240404/

And the best of everybody else's photos too, like Ernie Garza's etc.

This would be a good project for a dozen people that wanted to volunteer for
ICS, but couldn't.

It would be too costly to publish something, as it would be
over 100 pages, if not 200.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have had similar symptoms. Sore throat on Wednesday, then gagging congestion,
coughing, slight fever. Since I had the same thing exactly a year ago, I
attributed it to a seasonal allergy. I didn't want to get bronchitis again, so
I went to the doctor on Friday, got some prescription meds. I mentioned I had
been to Mexico, but it wasn't much like the flu for me. Tonight ( Monday) is
the first night that the coughing hasn't been too bad.
I never went into the dorms, we tent camped both pre-camp and throughout the
ICS.
Somehow this didn't go to the list when I sent it last night.
Shari Forsythe in Kentucky

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Someone may have already posted this:

    http://www.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=ae974e3f29be3c15

Did George really say "Caving is a sport"    ??

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
David Locklear posted:

>http://www.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=ae974e3f29be3c15

I especially liked the part where the author described rope climbing
with metal wenches. Where can I get some of those? ;-)

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
With all the commotion associated with the ICS, I wasn't able to get an
email out announcing the reprint of the Texas Speleological Survey's County
Reports, Volumes II and III  that are now available on CD.  These  15
publications have been out of print for years and contain 938 pages of  detailed
information on 733 caves and karst features  in 13 counties, and include 183
maps !!  This is a great  opportunity to add to your library of Texas cave
references without having to  xerox old, faded copies or pay the high price
for rare OP books.

Cost is $10: send check and order to:

Ron Ralph
13101 Wild Turkey Drive
Manchaca, Texas  78652
512/280-9648
_ronra...@austin.rr.com_ (mailto:ronra...@austin.rr.com)

NOW AVAILABLE  !!

Texas Speleological  Survey’s County Reports CD, Volumes II and III (1963 -
 1973)
Out of print  for years, these 15 publications contain 938 pages of
detailed information on  733 caves and karst features, and include 183 maps  !!
Volume  2:
No. 1. The Caves of Williamson County. 1963. James R. Reddell and Richard
Finch. 61 pp, 68 caves, 22  doubtfuls/man-mades, 14 maps.
No. 2. The Caves of Comal County. 1964.  James R. Reddell. 60 pp, 68 caves,
10 doubtfuls/shelters, 11 maps.
No. 3. Vertebrate Paleontology of Texas Caves. 1964. Ruben M. Frank. 43 pp,
34 caves, 5 maps .
No. 4. The Caves of Bell and Coryell Counties. 1964. David McKenzie and
James R. Reddell. 63 pp, 45 caves, 17  doubtfuls/rumors, 32 shelters, 28 maps.

No. 5-6. The Caves of Edwards County. 1965. James R. Reddell and A. Richard
Smith. 70 pp, 48 caves, 13  shelters, 18 maps.
No. 7. The Caves of Kinney County. 1965. A. Richard Smith and James R.
Reddell. 34 pp, 16 caves, 5  doubtfuls, 3 shelters, 11 maps.
No. 8. A Revised Checklist of Texas Caves.  1966. James R. Reddell and A.
Richard Smith. 37 pp, 1362 caves.  Includes index to Volume II.
Volume  3:
No. 1. The Caves of Medina County.  1967. James R. Reddell. 58 pp, 27
caves, 9 doubtfuls, 2 shelters, 9 maps.
No. 2. The Caves of the Stockton Plateau.  1968. Carl E. Kunath and A.
Richard Smith. 111 pp, 45 caves, 9 doubtfuls, 17  maps. Pecos, Terrell, and Val
Verde counties.
No. 3. Bibliographic Guide to the Caves of Texas.  1968. James R. Reddell.
173 pp.
No. 4. The Caves of Lubbock County. 1970. James R. Reddell. 20 pp, 5 caves,
5 shelters/doubtfuls, 7 maps.
No. 5. A Key to the Bats of Texas  and Adjacent Regions. 1970. Tony
Mollhagen. 26 pp.
No. 6. The Caves of Kimble County.  1971. A. Richard Smith and James R.
Reddell. 47 pp, 39 caves, 7  shelters/doubtfuls, 20 maps.
No. 7-8. The Caves of San Saba County, 2nd  Edition. 1973. James R.
Reddell. 127 pp, 177 caves, 27  shelters/doubtfuls, 43 maps.
Index to Volume III. 1973. A. Richard Smith  and James R. Reddell. 8 pp.
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

That's a great deal of info, Jerry, and a bargain at $10.

I'm definitely interested.

Will these be available at TCR, as well?

Thanks,

Mark

________________________________

[...]

Underground Texas Grotto meeting ­ Aug 5, 2009

www.utgrotto.org

The meeting is on Wednesday from 7:45 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
on the University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall
http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html

The program will be a traditional slide show.
John Schneider will show historic Instamatic shots of caves in Missouri from
back in the day.

Come out for a hot time in Austin Texas.

For information on Underground Texas Grotto activites, please see the website.
All of our information is available through our link including officer contact
info, trips reports, new caver training, event calendar, and posting links  to
beginner trips or vertical rope training.

Not all of us, but some cavers meet before the meeting about 6:30, where we go
to Sau Paulo www.saopaulos.net  for happy hour, then afterward at about 9:30
for the after meeting, we go for burgers and beer at Posse East
www.posseeast.com

The UT Grotto needs you, the caver with photos and a story to share about your
adventures, scientific research, or something else really cool.  Contact Gary
v...@utgrotto.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Have at it!

Cheers,
Denise

> [...]
>
> Logistics: The location to be surveyed will change from day to day and thus
> the place to meet will be changing. This is why we need to have you sign up
> with contact information so we can call you the day before to give you all
> the details.
>
> Age and Physical Requirements: Project requires participants to be able to
> transverse rough terrain and be in the sun for several hours. Under 18 must
> be accompanied by parent or guardian.
>
> Activity Goal: Find, flag, and inventory karst features (caves, sinkholes and
> other aquifer recharge features) on Water Quality Protection Lands throughout
> the length of the proposed Walk For A Day Trail corridor.
>
> Activity Details: Lead by Wildflower Center staff, volunteers will walk the
> proposed corridor length in segments with 50 feet between each participant to
> cover a 300 foot span. Volunteers will slowly walk along the proposed trail
> corridor, searching for caves, sinkholes, or other karst features. Once
> found, the features will be flagged and documented. The goal is to inventory
> all the karst features, so their significance can be further investigated.
> There will be trained leaders working with you and we will all be walking the
> corridor as a team. This inventory will help determine the best placement for
> the Walk For A Day Trail so that it can avoid negatively impacting these
> lands. The work area contains loose rocks, leaves, and other tripping
> hazards. Volunteers must wear long pants and closed toes shoes, preferably
> hiking or work boots that support the ankle. Long sleeved shirts are advised.
>
> Clothing Required: For safety reasons, participants must wear long pants and
> rugged closed-toe shoes, preferably ones which provide ankle support.
> Long-sleeve shirts are recommended for protection from brush and the sun as
> well as a sun hat.
>
> Participants Need to Bring: We will take plenty of water breaks and will
> provide electrolyte drinks and snacks however you should bring your own water
> bottle and snack to keep with you as you survey. Sunscreen and bug repellant
> are recommended. A personal compass will be useful; however personal GPS
> units will not be needed because we’ll need to recover any data collected
> from each of the units at the end of each day.
>

> Essential Project Needs and Safety Considerations:
> Participants should be able to hike several miles over rough terrain.
> AUGUST IN TEXAS --- no need to say it but it will be HOT.
> Activity will occur in cloudy or drizzly conditions, but will be cancelled in
> the event of inclement weather.
> Site does not have a restroom or indoor facilities.
> Those with allergies to bee stings or fire ants should be prepared as
> necessary. Nearest medical facility is approximately 25 minutes away.
> A first aid kit will be available on site.
> Participants may encounter snakes, spiders, scorpions and other wildlife.
> Gatorade and water with cups will be provided.

Get your vacation photos on your phone!
http://windowsliveformobile.com/en-us/photos/default.aspx?&OCID=0809TL-HM

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have been organizing the box photos, including the ones being sent in. Will put them on Picassa or Flicker, both sites that require you to register, but you can have access to all the photos.

If you took Box photos of anyone, please send them to me so I can include them. So far there are about 75 pictures.

ErnieG

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Lee Jay!

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM, <mark.al...@l-3com.com> wrote:

>  Agreed, Bill!
>

> I know from talking with Lee Jay before and during ICS, he WAS the TSA
> store!
>
> Lee Jay has done a stupendous job and the thankless task of running the
> store, handling online sales, dragging all of this stuff to TCR's, TSA
> conventions, the ICS, and even to the NSS Convention in Florida last year.
>
> He has worked with Chris Vreeland on new t-shirt designs, a new TSA bat
> sticker, and countless other tasks that most of us aren't even aware of.
>

> Lee Jay isn't the type to "toot his own horn", but, I'll do it for him...
>

> GREAT JOB AND MUCH THANKS, LEE JAY!!
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Mark

--- End Message ---