Blanco Adventurer
By John Hallowell
How often do you see a Ferrari in a small Texas town? I’d have to say
hardly  ever, but J. Katherine McClure claims that when she lived in the tiny
north  Texas town of Justin (population around 700), the dozen or so Ferraris
in her  shop made it the town with the most Ferraris per capita in the U.S.
Old-timers  would chide her gently, saying “You can’t haul much hay in one
of those.”
McClure lives in Blanco now, when she’s not traveling the world, and the
dilapidated barns around her (rented) old ranch house have occasionally
housed  classic cars worth over a million dollars each. This is her remarkable
story.
Born a fifth-generation Texan in the small town of Decatur, McClure might
well have turned out to be quite parochial in her approach to life. But she
had  a grandmother who ran the local cattle auction and who never did
anything  exactly “by the book.” Katherine must have inherited her grandmother’s
free  spirit, because she was “always restless, always wanting to do
something  different.”
She attended college in Denton, working as a wrangler in a local stable,
and  learned rock-climbing during the summer at Yosemite National Park. She
met a  young man (named Bob) in 1974, whose family was “into stock-car racing;”
 with  his encouragement, she bought a beautiful a 1967 MGB convertible
with a blown  engine. Bob got her a shop manual and loaned her his tools,
telling her “It  doesn’t take a rocket scientist” to re-build an engine. She did
it.
“I was thrilled when it started,” she recalls; Bob then taught her how to
properly drive a sports car.
A little while later, the pair discovered a silver, 1950s-era, Ferrari
convertible stored in a barn. They bought it, fixed it up, and painted it red.
“When I drove it that first time,” McClure remembers, “it was all over. I
was  hooked; there was nothing like it.” She and Bob joined the Ferrari Club
of  America together, and took the car to a national meet.
It turned out that the car was more rare than they had realized, and they
were soon offered an amount for it that they couldn’t afford to turn down.
With  their profits, they were able to buy two Ferraris and had a little cash
left  over. One of their new acquisitions was a 1964 specially-ordered
Ferrari coupe  which had belonged at one time to actor Steve McQueen.
The hobby soon turned into a part-time business, and they rented a shop
near  the railroad in Justin. McClure spent much of her time tracking down and
purchasing old Ferraris. “I’ve had so many crazy adventures driving old
Ferraris  across the country,” she laughs. “I was in my twenties, but I
looked about  twelve, and when I showed up with a paper sack full of cash, some
people just  didn’t know how to react.”
If one of their discoveries wasn’t roadworthy, McClure would drive a 1956
Chevy truck with a flatbed trailer. “I always had Uncle Freddie’s .410
shotgun  with me, just in case,” she says. “But I never had a lick of trouble.”
Over the course of about ten years, McClure estimates that the pair bought
and restored about thirty Ferraris; they also did quite a bit of business
in  Ferrari parts. One of McClure’s jobs was corresponding with the Ferrari
factory  in Italy to make sure that they had the right parts for the right
car. At one  time, McClure received a letter from Enzo Ferrari himself,
written in his  trademark purple ink.

McClure’s work had an unexpected consequence. Over the course of
dismantling  thirty Ferraris, she became one of the world’s leading experts on
what
was  authentic and what was valuable. So even after she and Bob parted ways in
1984,  her skills were in great demand among serious collectors of classic
cars. That  year had been a bad one all different ways, McClure recalls. Her
business  dissolved and her house burned down, “I thought I was done with
cars forever.”  She had been climbing mountains and exploring caves for
years; that year, she  decided to go to live on the beach in Mexico.
“It was warm, and far away.” She explains. “I lived in a grass hut on a
cove  (on the Pacific coast) and speared fish for a year. It was the best
therapy  possible.”
Her next stop was New York City, where she, recalling the days when her
grandmother would take her along on trips to Dallas to purchase uncut diamonds
 as an investment, decided to study under the Hasidic Jews at the
Gemological  Institute of America. New York was a “big shock,” she says. “I was
still having  trouble wearing shoes.” She worked as a “cater waiter” and a hack
driver to pay  her way through the school, then returned to Texas to be a
gem dealer.  (Interestingly enough, she met Jacques Vaucher twenty years ago
in New York; he  has since moved to the Hill Country, too, and was featured
in the Winter 2008  issue of Texas Hill Country magazine.)
Things didn’t go as well as she had hoped, and when old acquaintances from
the car business began calling, she started a brokerage (“just me”) for “
old  cronies with very special cars.”
“In the late ‘80s, the market for classic cars had gone through the roof;
like the art market,” she explains. “It was an investment.” When her
collector  friends started realizing how much their cars were worth, they
started
calling  McClure to discreetly find buyers. Her expertise and reputation
grew as she  tracked manufacturers lists to account for every car built in the
early years of  Ferrari, Maserati, Aston-Martin and other prestigious car
makers. “I realized I  could make more in the car business,” she says. “
People wanted ‘important’  racing cars, and I knew where to find them.”
McClure had never really settled down anywhere before 1993 (the only
property  she owns is a city block in a deserted Mexican mining town), but that
year, she  recalls, “I was snooping around for a place that felt like home.”
She found it  in Blanco County, and she has lived there (when she’s home)
for more than  fifteen years. And while she occasionally drives exotic cars on
the county roads  around her home, her everyday transportation is a 1992
Ford pick-up truck.
In 1996, English car enthusiasts decided to re-enact the London to Brighton
 rally which Prince Edward had used to shine a light on the potential of
automobiles a century earlier. McClure went along for the ride, which
included  Prince Michael of Kent, race car driver Stirling Moss (“We passed
him,”
McClure  reports proudly) and others, all driving “veteran cars” and
wearing period  clothing.
The next year, enthusiasts re-enacted the legendary Peking to Paris race of
 1907. McClure couldn’t find a ride that year, and when the trip was
repeated in  2007, her driver took ill and needed surgery at the time the race
was
run. Next  year, she plans to accompany an old friend in a 1929 Chrysler
Imperial in what  she describes as the ultimate automotive experience. “The
first 5,000 mile is  wilderness,” she says, showing the route on a world map. “
If I make it from  Peking to Paris, my career will be complete.”
That doesn’t mean her career will be over. This year, she participated in
the  Flying Scotsman rally, from London to Edinburgh, an event arranged by
the same  folks plotting the Peking-to-Paris run. It was cold and rainy in the
open cars,  but they stayed in castles every night and had a wonderful
time. “I would never  be able to do anything like this any other way,” McClure
says. “I’m fortunate to  have access” to these people, these cars and these
events.
And now, even though she has a seat in the world’s ultimate road rally, she’
s  looking for sponsors to help pay her way there and back. (She needs to
get to  Beijing a week ahead of time, then spend another week in Paris when
the race is  over before flying home.) If you would like to help, you can
call her at  830-833-2351. Maybe you can be a part of Katherine McClure’s
remarkable life  story.
_http://www.hillcountrymagazine.com/issues/20092/162.php_
(http://www.hillcountrymagazine.com/issues/20092/162.php)