---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: George Veni <gv...@warpdriveonline.com>
Date: Sun, May 31, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] TX Convention Daily Schedule
To: Preston Forsythe <pns_...@bellsouth.net>, texascavers@texascavers.com
Cc: Jim Borden <jimbor...@gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Preston Forsythe [mailto:pns_...@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 1:01 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Cc: Jim Borden
Subject: [Texascavers] TX Convention Daily Schedule

I am curious what is planned for the last day of convention-Sunday, July 26?

Preston and all,

The last day of the International Congress of Speleology (ICS) is
traditionally planned for the General Assembly (GA) of the International
Union of Speleology (UIS). This is when commissions that met during the week
present their results, and issues raised and proposals made at the GA at the
start ICS receive final discussion and are voted on. These includes the
presentation of awards, selecting the next UIS Bureau (governing board), and
selecting the site for the next ICS. In theory, the idea is to not have any
other events go on so everyone will have the chance to participate in the
GA. In practice, not everyone is interested in the GA so other concurrent
events occur. What we planned was:

* Vendors open until noon

* Various caving trips

* Cave restoration workshop

* More talks/sessions

On that last item, if an ICS can't squeeze in all of the talks during the
week, some spill over into the last day. This year, though we have over 500
papers to present, we've managed to fit them into the schedule for the
previous days. Having just realized that, as we are finalizing the detailed
schedule (to be released soon), a couple of days ago we decided to open up
Sunday for last minute, unscheduled talks. There are people from around the
world now returning from expeditions and projects with their latest results
(J2 team, are you listening?!). While it is too late to add them to the
formal schedule, we'll hold 2-3 large rooms open for them to give their
talks on Sunday. Potentially, that Sunday could have some of the most
exciting talks of the ICS. We still have some details to work out on this,
but I'll send a general announcement on this new session in a week or two.

To see the latest general schedule, updated a week ago, go to:
http://www.ics2009.us/weeklysched.pdf

George