>From TagNet last night:

WNS testimony today -- Video online!
      By: Cheryl Jones  (Mclean, Virginia)
          cheryl.ca...@verizon.net

The testimony on WNS before the joint sub-committee* today went very

well. "Our" panel of Peter Youngbaer, Merlin Tuttle (BCI), Scott

Darling (Vermont F&W Dept.), and Tom Kunz (Boston U.) did a terrific job,

and Peter sure did the NSS proud. The NSS received kudos from the USF&W

and USFS witnesses.

Although it would appear that with only 6 or 7 sub-committee members

present the hearing was poorly attended. However the staff said that

actually attendance was excellent -- often only the chairman shows up

for hearings. The audience seating was over flowing, primarily with

congressional staff taking careful notes.

The committee members seemed quite interested, and appeared to

(eventually) grasp the situation, issues, the value of bats, and need

for research funding. Fingers crossed.

A copy of the conservation issue of the NSS News (the issue with the WNS

bat on the back cover) was distributed to the committee, and available

for attendees.

Go here to watch the video of the hearing -- I think you'll find it

pretty interesting -- and/or to read the written statements that were

presented in advance to the sub-committee members

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=27&extmo
de=view&extid=259

A take away quote: "It probably is the most serious threat to American

wildlife of the past century."

Cheryl *Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands and the

Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife