Hey, Lyndon.

Yes! It's actually pretty interesting. You can cut pieces out of climbing and caving ropes (old and retired, if not the owner wouldn't be too happy) and dissect them.

In caving (well, vertical caving, as opposed to climbing up walls to reach leads) we use static ropes. These have parallel fibers, all tightly held by the sheath. These minimize spin and elongation. Falling is not part of the game and actually you are looking for a rope that won't make you bounce (too much) when you start to climb out of a pit.

In climbing, ropes are "dynamic," which are designed to stretch to absorb the energy of a falling climber (falling is part of the game). In a dynamic rope, after you take out the sheath (which is also looser than in a static rope) you find braided strands of nylon, which are the ones that absorb the energy.

Take care,

     - Fofo