> I remember back in 2000 when the folks at Caverns of Sonora were
attempting to lease CWAN and they were putting me through their version of
show cave managers boot camp, I got to meet and hang out with Jack several
times. The most memorable was at the NCA convention in Tucson. Jack had
been helping with the development of Kartchner Caverns which was done with
a nearly unlimited budget. I was coming out of the cave with my mind
throughly blown by the cave and by the amazing trails, lights, airlocks
etc. With all the VIP's from the show cave world present, Jack came up to
me (a relitive newbee) and said "Well what do ya think? Cave Without a
Name is better isn't it?" That's the kind of guy he was. He had an artists
eye and an engineers mind. The best story I heard about Jack was how he
blew uo a 300 pound rock just a few feet in front of the butterfly without
causing any dammage to anything except the rock. I'll let someone who was
there tell that story so I don't exagerate it.

Mike Burrell
Manager
Cave Without a Name

> This indeed a huge loss and thanks for posting it, Jerry.
>
> If anyone has an obit, memories, trip reports, recollections, and photos
relating to Jack that they would like to send my way for the TEXAS CAVER,
> please do so.
>
> How strange is it that the current issue of the TC (going out, finally,
this week) has news of Bart Crisman's passing, as well.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark

(NSS #2175) passed away on Monday from complications due to Alzheimer's
Disease.  Services will be held on either Thursday or Friday of this week.

> Jack's contributions to caving are legion and I'm not the person that
should put them to paper as others were much more familiar with him and
his accomplishments.  I'm sure a more detailed accounting of his life will