-----Original Message-----
From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:49 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] ICS Texas attendees

I see at least 164 people from Texas have pre-registered for ICS. I don't
think they are all cavers.

( Disclaimer:   Some of these cavers may claim out of state grottos, but I
think they all live in Texas or claim to be from Texas, or something like
that. )...

Anyone is welcome to put this list in alphabetical order or any other order
that would be useful for the event.

**************************************

For anyone interested in who is registered for the ICS, go to
https://secure.concentric.com/ics2009.us/register/whois/. By scrolling down
the page you'll find options to list people by registration number,
alphabetically, country, state, and trips. The last three list people
alphabetically. The information is in a database that allows easy sorting
and processing of the registrants' data as needed.

Currently, 199 people are registered from Texas. State affiliation on the
list is not based on grottos but on the person's mailing address. For
example, I still consider myself a Texas caver, but you'll find my name
listed under New Mexico.

Many people coming to the ICS are not cavers. They are cave and karst
scientists, managers, and educators. For many years there were two camps of
people working on cave and karst issues: those with caving backgrounds and
those without. Many of those on the caving side believed that non-cavers
couldn't grasp the realities and complexities of the karst environment, and
some couldn't. Many of those on the non-caving side believed that the cavers
were a bunch of enthusiasts who didn't have a good grasp of the science, and
some didn't. In recent years, there has been a healing of this artificial
rift. Both sides have important perspectives and insights to offer.

One of my goals with this ICS was to further bring those sides together, and
it is happening. Some of our symposia, meetings, field trips, and many of
the papers that will be presented will be from people on the non-caving
side. They have learned to appreciate the insights that caver scientists and
managers have, and do excellent work by bringing in ideas and information
that their caver counterparts never considered. The list of sponsors is
another example of bringing in people and organizations who are outside the
traditional caver circles. If we are to effectively study, manage, and
educate people about caves and karst, we'll be far more effective by
building partnerships with non-cavers, and the ICS is a big step in that
direction.

George