texascavers Digest 24 Jun 2009 22:32:33 -0000 Issue 784

Topics (messages 11071 through 11086):

Re: cave/cavern questions for book
        11071 by: Fofo
        11072 by: Charles Goldsmith
        11076 by: Minton, Mark

15th ICS - Want to go caving at Kickapoo?
        11073 by: germanyj.aol.com

Paging Joe Ranzau
        11074 by: Tom Florer
        11075 by: Tom Florer

[texascavers] Boot toe guard repair
        11077 by: Simon Newton
        11078 by: Keith Goggin
        11079 by: Preston Forsythe

Kerrville tourist information
        11080 by: David

OT - storing cave movies on DVD
        11081 by: David

interesting link on Sinkholes along the Dead Sea
        11082 by: Geary Schindel
        11083 by: tbsamsel.verizon.net

Re: Boot toe guard repair
        11084 by: Minton, Mark

Dead Sea
        11085 by: Mixon Bill

Re: Help for a friend of a friend?
        11086 by: Katherine Arens

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Hi!

Hmm... Wow, I guess there could be a flood of answers. OK, here are my comments:

> 1. In a long tunnel -  c. 6’ wide x c. 8’ high; about a quarter of a
> mile in length - can a sensitive person detect changes in air pressure,
> humidity, and smells, the deeper in and down you travel in this tunnel?

The pressure gradient in the atmosphere is not big enough to feel it when merely walking through a passage and getting deeper into a cave. Changes in humidity and smell, yes, you can feel those (but they are not necessarily related to changes in depth).

> 2.  Can you feel air moving in such a long tunnel that leads to an air
> shaft?

Yes -- if there's air movement. That is, a tunnel leading to a pit open to the surface doesn't necessarily have airflow through it.

> 3.  If you hover over an air shaft on the surface, can you feel/detect
> air movement going in or out?

Yes (again, if there is air movement).

> 4.  If you are in a cave, tunnel, or cavern for up to three days, do you
> lose track of time?
>      Could a person go to sleep for several hours and wake up, thinking
> it must be morning?

Yes, because you lack any indication of whether or not it is day or night. Without watches and in a cave, people tend to still adopt a roughly 24-hr cycle, of about 12 hrs or activity/12 hrs of rest, but the "day" _could_ start at, say, 3 am, and since you don't have anything to tell you that, you go happily about your business.

> 5.   What significant developments can a person experience in long term
> caving?

Hmm... Great friends and cool stories? :)
I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it like, what could be the effects of extremely long stays in caves? Or more like what happens when someone caves often and has been doing it for a long time? Under the total darkness and (sometimes) silence of a cave, some people's brain may start providing their own stimulus via visual or auditory hallucinations, but I guess there is some adaptation to it, because cavers routinely spend weeks underground while exploring hard caves without any problems (but in those cases there are plenty of stimuli around, like other cavers).

     - Fofo

Hey, Robert. I'm no expert, but, I will post your message to CaveTex, where folks much more intelligent, experienced, and educated than I can, hopefully, help. OK, y'all, time to dazzle Robert with your collective brilliance! Thanks and good luck on your story! Mark