Sort of on-topic, and I know there are a lot of crack geologists on this forum:

I've been researching Austin history and ghost stories, and came across a very
dubious claim of a gold mine located at a place called "Digger Hollow."  I was
unaware of any precious metal deposits in Central Texas, but I did find this
intriguing tidbit on the web:

-------------

GOLD MINING. Gold mining has not been extensive in Texas, as the occurrence of
the metal is limited. Main production, confined to the Presidio and Hazel mines
in West Texas and the Heath mine in the Llano district, amounted to a total of
8,277 fine ounces by 1942 and was valued at $233,499. Most of the gold produced
has come as the byproduct of silver and copper ores, but traces of it occur in
the Shafter, Van Horn, Allamoore, and Quitman mountains, and in Howard, Taylor,
Irion, Uvalde, and Williamson counties with other rocks and ores. Since the
closing of the Presidio mine in September 1942 there has been little production
of gold.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Thomas J. Evans, Gold and Silver in Texas (Mineral Resource
Circular 56 [Austin: Bureau of Economic Geology, 1975]). University of Texas,
Texas Looks Ahead: The Resources of Texas (Austin, 1944; rpt., Freeport, New
York: Books for Libraries Press, 1968).

Before I take the time to try and track the references in the bibliography,
does anybody know anything about mining in Williamson country or nearby?  Was
that placer gold?  The karst doesn't seem prime territory for hard rock mines,
but then again, I'm a computer programmer, not a geologist :)

Best Regards,

~~Thomas