texascavers Digest 12 Feb 2009 15:36:54 -0000 Issue 709

Topics (messages 10161 through 10183):

Re: Loghorn Cavern?
        10161 by: wwildchild.aol.com

Cavern?
        10162 by: Gill Ediger
        10163 by: Lyndon Tiu
        10164 by: Fritz Holt
        10165 by: Pete Lindsley
        10166 by: Ron Ralph
        10167 by: Fritz Holt
        10168 by: Fritz Holt
        10170 by: George Veni

Caver wants to mine moon for ice
        10169 by: Louise Power
        10171 by: Minton, Mark
        10172 by: Louise Power
        10173 by: Ted Samsel

Longhorn dig.
        10174 by: Fritz Holt
        10176 by: Lyndon Tiu
        10177 by: Lyndon Tiu
        10179 by: George Veni
        10180 by: S S
        10181 by: Lyndon Tiu
        10182 by: Lyndon Tiu

Upcoming caving opportunity
        10175 by: Jim Kennedy

Re: Charles Darwin's 200th Birthday Luncheon - and Brown Bag Presentation.
        10178 by: Geary Schindel

Mike Burrell talk to me
        10183 by: Gill Ediger

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Ahhhhh, LOGhorn cave, now I see. :7?? While on the thru-trip I believe it was
one?of the?ASS?cavers that asked me what the difference was between a cave and
a cavern. I didn't know but I?suspected something along the lines of the
difference between a caver and spelunker so that is what I thought the joke was
about. I ?looked up the definitions and determined that a Cave is a hallow or
passage way in the earth and a Cavern is the same except especially large in
its open cavities or something like that. Don't flame me, I'm an accountant not
a geologist.

Puppy
=:-)

registration, are available at www.ics2009.us

And while the big buck and big name sponsors are great, so are all of the
caver supporters of the ICS who are working hard to make it happen. Lyndon
is one such supporter, as is everyone else who helped dig open the back
entrance to Longhorn. I wish I could have been with them because it looks
like they had a great time doing it. That's the whole idea of the daily ICS
caving trips (these are different from the special trips which will be held
just on Wednesday). Travis Scott and Joe Mitchell are organizing those daily
trips and Longhorn is one of them. They're looking for more people to help
lead the trips. Consider spending some days during the ICS going caving! OK,
you'll be leading a bunch of cavers from around the world, but what a
fantastic time and opportunity!

I've no doubt that a lot of cavers will show up at the ICS ready to help,
but for caving trips we need to reserve vans, budget for gas, make advance
plans with cave owners, etc., we really need you to step up early and offer
to help out. We won't be able to offer trips unless we know in advance that
we have people to lead them. And the more people who help, the less "work"
(if you want to call leading a caving trip "work"!) it will be for everyone.
You can reach Travis at tra...@oztotl.com and Joe at joemitch...@satx.rr.com

If you're interested in helping in other specific or general ways with the
ICS, contact Nancy Weaver at nan...@io.com

Lastly, on 11-12 July, the weekend before the ICS begins, there will be a
trip to Kerrville to begin setting up the campgrounds. We'll set up security
fencing, showers, mark the campground roads, etc. More information will be
coming, but if you're available and interested, mark your calendars now.

Thanks,

George
15th ICS Chairman and Shameless Promoter

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Am I the only one who heard Bill Stone Sunday on NPR talk about excavating the
lunar poles for ice. He talked about why cavers are the perfect people to do it.

See:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

Bill Stone, a maverick cave explorer who has plumbed Earth’s deepest abysses,
discusses his efforts to mine lunar ice for space fuel and to build an
autonomous robot for studying Jupiter’s moon Europa.

Even if you don't agree with him, he's got some great pics.

Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
      Louise Power said:

>Am I the only one who heard Bill Stone Sunday on NPR talk about excavating the
>lunar poles for ice. He talked about why cavers are the perfect people to do
>it.

      Was that a new interview on NPR?  The TED talk that you gave a link for
was back in March, 2007...

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Yes. It was on a show called "The Interview." I only linked that site becaused
it pretty well summed up what he talked about. There is a podcast link to the
BBC that was Sunday's interview. You can download the 26 min podcast from
there. Sorry I didn't include this one earlier. I missed it when I looked
online for info.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/nk/interview/

From: mmin...@nmhu.edu
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:17:22 -0500
Subject: [Texascavers] RE: Caver wants to mine moon for ice

      Louise Power said:

>Am I the only one who heard Bill Stone Sunday on NPR talk about excavating the
>lunar poles for ice. He talked about why cavers are the perfect people to do
>it.

      Was that a new interview on NPR?  The TED talk that you gave a link for
was back in March, 2007...

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

I bet Diet Smith is involved.

T.

Am I the only one who heard Bill Stone Sunday on NPR talk about excavating the lunar poles for ice. He talked about why cavers are the perfect people to do it.

See: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

Bill Stone, a maverick cave explorer who has plumbed Earth’s deepest abysses, discusses his efforts to mine lunar ice for space fuel and to build an autonomous robot for studying Jupiter’s moon Europa.

Even if you don't agree with him, he's got some great pics.

Louise

http://home.infionline.net/~tbsamsel/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Lyndon,
That was an excellent trip report on Longhorn. You and the group made good and
meaningful progress. You should have a lifetime pass to Longhorn. It takes a
young man such as yourself for such an endeavor.
Fritz

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Fritz.

I will need to edit the trip report a bit before it goes out to the TSA
newsletter. Scott did some research and found an article from the 60's about a
trip in the same passage. Not quite as virgin as we had hoped. But definitely
needs to be surveyed and mapped as we were definitely "off the map". Something
we plan on doing next month. Provided the rain from this week has not
completely flooded the ear dip passage.

More info in the next TSA newsletter.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:46:15 -0600 fh...@townandcountryins.com wrote:
> ... and the group ...

The ASS cavers were there and they are awesome cavers. Kudos to them for being
key in negotiating the ear dip passage.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Lyndon,

Here is something to chew on as you contemplate the new passage. I did a
hydrogeologic study of the cave for TPWD 10 years ago. In that I identified
springs 1.8 to 2.5 km away that might be the downstream end of the cave, so
there should be a lot of passage still to find. There are also some karst
features I found (unfortunately, not reasonable dig leads) that have good
airflow and suggest open passage not too far beyond the sump. Of course,
"not too far" could mean 5 m or 500 m. There is a very good chance that some
of the passage beyond the sump will be rather large. There is also a
reasonable chance that the passage could split with one way leading to one
spring and the other leading to the other. In that case, I'd expect one
route to be fairly nice while the other would likely be mud-filled and grim.
I wish I could find the time to join you and check out the passage now that
the water is low. If you or anyone else is curious about what may be down
there and why, I'll be glad to talk to you about it at the TSA Convention
(not enough time to write about it now).

George

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
So looking at the Report on Longhorn in the Caves of Burnet County there are
two or three maps from different era's.  THere is a 1958 map that indicates
past the Crownover bypass (called "The Rooms") the cave goes through a place
called "The Dams" before becoming the salamander trail and ending with "Passage
blocked by high Water".   The section appears to be a continuation of the main
trunk passage which would be a left turn coming from the Crownover entrance
into the cave.  Another Map from 1999 shows an extension of the passage beyond
where the crownover entrance intersects the main trunk at least 1.5 times the
distance from the crownover entrance to the intersection of the main passage.

THere is another blurb about this area in the description of the cave;

    "The rooms is a tributary in feeder near the intersection of the northern
wiggleys and the main passage that continues westward for 300 feet as a series
of rooms and connecting crawls which eventually leads to the crownover
entrance. The northernmost portion of the cave is poorly explored and not
represented on the 1978 map of the cave.  It consists of a multilevel
continuation of the main passage (Salamander Trail) for approximately 500ft to
a reported sump at the northern end of the cave.  In 1962, this sump was
reported open with 3 inches of airspace. After 50ft the ceiling rises and the
passage continues as mostly walking size for an estimated 2000 to 3000 feet and
ends at another sump."

2002 The Caves of Burnet County, Texas; G. Atkinson

Sounds like you all just turned around at the first sump if you didn't go that
far.  Maybe the 1962 sump #1 was not open.  I'd imagining the "Dams" is
probably an area of water filled muddy rimstone crawls and low headroom you may
have mistook as the sump?

Scott

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_022009

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Scott,

Thanks for doing the research.

Since the team from 1962 did not survey the passage, they can't be sure with
their claims of:

 " ... for approximately 500ft to a reported sump  ... "

 " ... the passage continues as mostly walking size for an estimated 2000 to
3000 feet ... ".

All the distances from are estimates until surveyed and confirmed.

The ear dip I am talking about may be the sump they are talking about that was
open in 1962. The 3 inches of airspace is accurate as I had water up to my nose
with my helmet on and my face almost parallel to the ceiling.

Definitely need to go back, survey and confirm. You coming?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:35:46 -0600 back2scool...@hotmail.com wrote:

> So looking at the Report on Longhorn in the Caves of Burnet County
> there are two or three maps from different era's.  THere is a 1958 map
> that indicates past the Crownover bypass (called "The Rooms") the cave
> goes through a place called "The Dams" before becoming the salamander
> trail and ending with "Passage blocked by high Water".   The section
> appears to be a continuation of the main trunk passage which would be
> a left turn coming from the Crownover entrance into the cave.  Another
> Map from 1999 shows an extension of the passage beyond where the
> crownover entrance intersects the main trunk at least 1.5 times the
> distance from the crownover entrance to the intersection of the main
> passage.
>
> THere is another blurb about this area in the description of the cave;
>
>     "The rooms is a tributary in feeder near the intersection of the
> northern wiggleys and the main passage that continues westward for 300
> feet as a series of rooms and connecting crawls which eventually leads
> to the crownover entrance. The northernmost portion of the cave is
> poorly explored and not represented on the 1978 map of the cave.  It
> consists of a multilevel continuation of the main passage (Salamander
> Trail) for approximately 500ft to a reported sump at the northern end
> of the cave.  In 1962, this sump was reported open with 3 inches of
> airspace. After 50ft the ceiling rises and the passage continues as
> mostly walking size for an estimated 2000 to 3000 feet and ends at
> another sump."
>
> 2002 The Caves of Burnet County, Texas; G. Atkinson
>

> Sounds like you all just turned around at the first sump if you didn't
> go that far.  Maybe the 1962 sump #1 was not open.  I'd imagining the
> "Dams" is probably an area of water filled muddy rimstone crawls and
> low headroom you may have mistook as the sump?
>

> Scott

> Windows Live�: Keep your life in sync.
> http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_022009

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:35:46 -0600 back2scool...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Sounds like you all just turned around at the first sump if you didn't
> go that far.  Maybe the 1962 sump #1 was not open.  I'd imagining the
> "Dams" is probably an area of water filled muddy rimstone crawls and
> low headroom you may have mistook as the sump?

Hi Scott,

The "Dams" is where the rope is, where Julia Germany had an issue climbing up
with her soleless boots.

You definitely need to come with us next time. Hard to explain unless you are
there yourself.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Forwarded for Jut Wynne.  Contact him directly if interested, qualified,
and available.  Feel free to forward this announcement.