From: John P. Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com>; Matt Turner <kat...@yahoo.com>;
Texas Cavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:30:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Kinda hurts my soul

Re: [<SPAN id="misspell-2" class="mark" >Texascavers</SPAN>] Kinda hurts my
soul Excuse me for sounding like a sour puss....but it is a quarry.....AND WHY
isn’t anyone’s “soul hurting” for the caves that have been and are being
destroyed by urban sprawl in Central Texas? In my humble opinion; building
houses, Walmarts, hotels, strip centers AND patronizing those business is a
much greater sin against nature......and yet I know cavers and other
environmentalist types who love to live out in those brushy hills...and buy all
their cheap plastic stuff at Walmart....and love to go for a Saturday drive in
the “country” on freeways that trench a horrid scar across our beautiful
karst.... many of us add our little piece of this damage everyday through our
daily actions.

It “hurts my soul” that I live this way...and have little choice in the matter.

To complain about a house in a quarry, that some call a cave, seems to me a bit
inauthentic...and it covers a pain that we all feel when we consider the damage
being done all around us. If this type of thing offends us, we should be called
to action. We should be lobbying for “urban growth” boundaries for out cities
to protect the remaining hill country, before it ALL becomes covered with
parking lots and fry pits and Walmarts and Big Box retailers. We should being
saying enough to the everyday excessive use of automobiles AND insist that
development be SMART. We should support initatives that create walkable, more
dense cities that have and support mass transit. I could go on.....but will
not. But I do hope that we can all see the “cancer” that we are creating....if
ones desire is to save caves; one might start by looking at the real
problem....and that is how we use our fragile land everyday.

And excuse me if I sound brash...I woke up with some kind of stomach crud this
morning...jb