texascavers Digest 7 Apr 2009 18:19:29 -0000 Issue 737

Topics (messages 10456 through 10466):

Re: Subject: Lee Florea left off NSS Ballot for  Director
        10456 by: Alex Sproul
        10457 by: Preston Forsythe
        10458 by: Ellie Thoene
        10460 by: Lyndon Tiu

first trip to El Sotano
        10459 by: Mixon Bill
        10461 by: Preston Forsythe
        10462 by: Jim Kennedy

Re: [Allcavers] Butch Fralia out of hospital
        10463 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com

Re: Butch Fralia out of hospital
        10464 by: Mark.Alman.l-3com.com
        10465 by: Jon Cradit

Deep and Punkin Trip Leader training
        10466 by: Geary Schindel

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
>What happens if I already mailed-in my ballot? Too late?

Pretty much.  The penalty for efficiency.  We all know cavers always do everything at the very last minute.

Seriously, that's why we tried to hit all the list-servs as soon as possible after the situation was discovered.

The only out I can see is to locate a caver who is power-voting for person(s) not including Florea, and convince him/her to add Florea as a gesture of goodwill to you.  That would seem unlikely, though.  ;^)

Alex

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We have not received our ballots.

Personal note, Lee is doing a great job.

Preston

-------------------------
  >What happens if I already mailed-in my ballot? Too late?

  Pretty much.  The penalty for efficiency.  We all know cavers always do
everything at the very last minute.

  Seriously, that's why we tried to hit all the list-servs as soon as possible
after the situation was discovered.

  The only out I can see is to locate a caver who is power-voting for person(s)
not including Florea, and convince him/her to add Florea as a gesture of
goodwill to you.  That would seem unlikely, though.  ;^)

  Alex

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello all!

I would like to comment, as I am the person who created the ballot and
worked with the NSS Nominating Committee to make sure all the ballots were
created, printed and mailed in a timely manner. It is very unfortunate that
the mix-up regarding Lee Florea’s candidacy occurred but I can see that
everyone is doing their best to rectify it.  Lee, it looks like you have a
lot of friends!!!

Lee Florea’s name will be listed on the NSS Nominating Committee website (
http://www.caves.org/committee/nominating/Platforms.htm) with the other five
candidates platforms very shortly. I will also make sure that it is clear to
all that Lee Florea is a write-in candidate. If Lee is as great as everyone
is saying he is-I am sure he will be represented well.

All ballots must be received by May 22nd. Please make sure that you vote and
have your ballots in by then so that your vote will be represented when the
ballots are tallied on May 23rd, 2009.

Cavingly,

Ellie Thoene

On 4/7/09, Preston Forsythe <pns_...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>  We have not received our ballots.
>
> Personal note, Lee is doing a great job.
>
> Preston
>
> -------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:37:19 -0400 imoca...@comcast.net wrote:
> The only out I can see is to locate a caver who is power-voting for
> person(s) not including Florea, and convince him/her to add Florea as a
> gesture of goodwill to you.

Problem solved. I found a caver who is doing it for me.

Thanks.

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Does anybody know if a good trip report was ever published on the first descent (January 1972) of El Sótano del Barro, Quetétaro? All I can find is a couple of paragraphs by Pete Strickland in the 1972 Speleo Digest. -- Mixon
He who renders warfare fatal to all engaged in it will be the greatest benefactor the world has yet known. - Sir Richard Burton
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yes. I remember reading an article in a magazine, may even have been a non-caving magazine, around 1972-73, while hanging around Kirkwood. It may even have been a Sunday magazine section of some paper like the Nashville, TN paper. I think the discovery was in 1968. I am sure Logan would know as he was THERE.

Logan does not always monitor this site so suggest calling him. I was blown away that my new friend at Kirkwood had made such a huge discovery as a result of hard work and a long difficult hike. Being fluent in Spanish helps.

Preston in Outer Browder, KY
------------------------

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mixon Bill" <bmixon...@austin.rr.com>
Does anybody know if a good trip report was ever published on the
first descent (January 1972) of El S�tano del Barro, Quet�taro? All I
can find is a couple of paragraphs by Pete Strickland in the 1972
Speleo Digest. -- Mixon
He who renders warfare fatal to all engaged in it will be the greatest
benefactor the world has yet known. - Sir Richard Burton
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I already forwarded the request to Logan.  Please don't bombard him with
repeats.

-- Jim