I have gotten a quote from the printer I use for the Association for Mexican Cave Studies on an issue of the Texas Caver. For saddle- stitched in a cover printed both sides in full color and 24 inside b&w pages (_four more_ than are in the most recent TC), the quote for quantity between 150 and 249 copies is $2.12 a copy plus $60 setup charges. The per-copy price changes by only about 5 cents for more or fewer. Assuming 200 copies, the setup charge comes to 30 cents a copy, for a printing cost of $2.42. Of course, this is in Kalamazoo, so you'd have to add maybe another $60 for shipping to Texas; I'll be generous and make it $2.75 in all.

Now add maybe 5 cents for a mailing envelope and 2 cents for a mailing label. I don't know what postage actually is, but I'll guess for non- profit bulk rate it is 40 cents a copy. This brings us up to a grand total of $3.22 for each copy of the Texas Caver mailed to a member. At four issues a year, we're talking $13. (You can do the arithmetic if there are more or fewer than 200 TSA members; it affects only the setup and shipping.)

I'd say whoever is publishing the Texas Caver at a cost of $26 per member per year needs to do a bit of printer-shopping. I won't blame anybody for not wanting to deal with a printer in Kalamazoo four times a year, but deals not too much worse must be available locally (remember you've got that shipping cost as a cushion).

I realize there are some free exchange copies mailed out that also cost the TSA something, and of course a small stock of additional copies for later sale (25, say) will be wanted, but still I think the TSA should be able to afford to send the Texas Caver to all its members under the present dues.

Whether older issue should be on the Web and under what restrictions are separate questions.
 -- Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org